Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NickT  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2021 18:30:31(UTC)
NickT

Hi

Im realy new to health and safety and need help on membership training please.

A little background on me im 55 years old got a keen eye and good common sense, oh and dyslexic.

7 years now iv been working at Stoke Damerel Community College here in Plymouth Devon.

Iv had little or no training but I self-teach myself.

I’m responsible tor the fire door inspection and repairs, was the extinguishers, the fire alarm weekly test. Emergency exit, legionella when I have time, boiler room ect .

Iv asked for help but get nothing iv aske to be put on a IOSH course I was told it’s not necessary.

So, I need to self-fund my own training,

The main reason is to keep people safe and second, so I have a footing against people using smart words against me when I point out hazards.

I hope im in the right place because im really worried someone will get hurt.

WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2021 11:08:25(UTC)
WatsonD

Hi Nick

Thats very diappointing that your employer will not fund you to ensure you are carrying out legally compliant duties for them effectively. This is a deriliction of their responsibilites. However, this I am sure you will learn more about in your training.

I would advice not to look at the IOSH managing safely. I had a project manager who was dyslexic and he struggled with the exam. It is also presented in quite a dry way.

I would suggest you try NCRQ Managing Safely as your in road. It is not very expensive (lesss than £200.00) and it is a more interactive online training course which would be a good start for you.

thanks 4 users thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
peter gotch on 07/09/2021(UTC), RVThompson on 07/09/2021(UTC), NickT on 07/09/2021(UTC), CptBeaky on 07/09/2021(UTC)
NickT  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2021 15:09:02(UTC)
NickT

WatsonD thank you I'll look into this and also the Level NVQ. Yes it is disappointing since there is so much wast and needless overspending in the school. I should not have put the the name sorry I'll try to edit it I hope to contribute 1 day communication IRS a powerful tool. Thank you