Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
catherine.ince  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2021 12:37:47(UTC)
catherine.ince

Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me, but it's an odd one! I am writing a university assignment which includes some information about the cost of accidents to an organisation. I took the method for this calculation from an article in (I think) SHP Magazine, in 2012 or 13. I now can't find the article, but need to be able to include it in my references - can anyone help? Thank you.

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 19 November 2021 15:53:38(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Catherine

HSE published the first version of "The costs of accidents at work" in about 1991. Didn't look at work-related illness which is far more expensive.

Current edition is at The cost to Britain of workplace accidents and work-related ill health in 1995/96 - HSG101 (hse.gov.uk)

...but you can find more recent data at www.hse.gov.uk/statistics

Why look for an article when you can use the source material?!?!

P

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
catherine.ince on 19/11/2021(UTC)
catherine.ince  
#3 Posted : 19 November 2021 15:58:49(UTC)
catherine.ince

Thank you Peter - I will look at that and see if it uses exactly the same method. I've seen lots of examples that don't follow what I use, which is why I may need to go back to the article. Good advice, though.

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2021 13:44:09(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Catherine.

I think that HSE are probably the acknowledged world leaders in this. The original publication was quite revolutionary, adding an extra layer of argument on to why employers should manage safety - straight forward financial business sense.

....and the economists at HSE have beavered on since, with the data being more sophisticated than in that first version, particularly as regards the recognition of the costs of occupational health where control of the risks in the UK lags way behind some other geographies.

P

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
catherine.ince on 22/11/2021(UTC)