Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
luann  
#1 Posted : 25 November 2021 12:09:33(UTC)
luann

Hi 

I have my health and safety exam coming up to finish my apprenticeship. 

I've completed my apprenticehip through lockdown and im still not back at work full time. 

I'm really struggling to revise does anyone have any tips? 

hopeful  
#2 Posted : 26 November 2021 12:56:05(UTC)
hopeful

Put a plan together. List all the topics and break those down further. The identify what you are stronger on and weaker on. Then put a revision timetable together, making time in your day. Set up a revision area removing ditractions etc and try and keep it that way. Then show up with no excuses. Read articles to cement the learning, lots of little breaks.

However there may be a way that is better for you - we all learn differently. I find writing and rewriting helps absorb the information.

Good luck

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 26 November 2021 13:05:22(UTC)
peter gotch

Luann - looking at the title of your thread, it suggests a health and safety apprenticeship.

However, on the basis of the content of your posting I am guessing that it is a different type of apprenticeship in which your knowledge of health and safety issues could not be expected to be as extensive.

So, what sort of apprenticeship and do you have any idea of what may come up in the exam - if you provide this information, you are more likely to get useful answers to your original Q.

So, as example, if you are an apprentice joiner I would expect you to be able to answer QQ on topics such as the guarding of most typical woodworking machines - circular saws, spindle moulders and so on.

Conversely if doing an apprenticship in steel erection, you might get QQ on things like use of fall arrest equpment.

Good luck, Peter

Connor35037  
#4 Posted : 26 November 2021 16:08:17(UTC)
Connor35037

My revision tip would be to write notes; I find it a good way to get the info. into my brain in the short-term!

Kate  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2021 16:37:30(UTC)
Kate

Here is the formula that has worked for me and for many others.

First make notes as suggested by Connor.  Even if you don't normally handwrite anything and even if the e**m is not going to be handwritten, writing them down with a pen on paper is the best way to get the information into your head (at least many people find this although it may not be for everyone).

Then identify some sample questions that you may be asked in the e**m.  These might be actual past or sample questions that the e**m provider has supplied to you or they might be ones you have made up based on what you think might be asked.

Then sit down without access to any notes, materials or the internet, look at the questions and write down your answers.  Having done this go back to your notes, materials, internet or whatever else will supply the correct answers and mark your answers.

The first time you do this you are likely to give yourself low marks.  Don't be disheartened.  Leave these questions for another day, and then repeat the step of answering the questions without access to prompts.  Eventually, you will become slick in answering the sample questions and confident in answering related questions.

Finally, the topmost tip of all tips for e**m success.  On the day, RTFQ (Read The F***ing Question).  Answer exactly the question which is asked, not the question you would like to answer.

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 27 November 2021 15:42:28(UTC)
peter gotch

I fully endorse Kate's top tip. It works for things like interviews as well. People structure QQ in exams and interviews for a reason (somtimes simply to try and set a level playing field for candidates from varying backgrounds)- when the respondent answers a different Q those who asked are usually underwhelmed.