Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2000 14:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mr.Z Bhunnoo Hello all, I just wanted to seek your views on open distance learning. I wish to take the first part of the nebosh diploma. As I am self funding and not in a health and safety job, I was going to gain the qualification through open distance learning as it is cheaper and more convenient for me. However, it seems a little too easy as it makes out. I just wanted to know if anyone out there has studied for a diploma through open distance learning and to give your views on what it was like and whether you would recommend it ???. I would also be interested in the views of those of you who have studied for your diploma in other ways and what you think on open distance learning ie. do you think lots of contact time with tutors in the form of lectures was vital to you passing ???. I will be extremely grateful for any input from anyone Thanks. Z.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 October 2000 22:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod Hello Z, I am presently studying for my Diploma, via distance learning. I am doing it through RRC and the study material supplied by them is in my opinion "first class". I recieve regular updates on all new safety legislation and the hard copy material is also supplied on CD-ROM,(This is ideal for me as I work in the offshore Oil & Gas industry and it saves me having to carry the hard copy back and forth). For part 1 of the Diploma, I have five tutors with whom I can communicate with as regularly as I wish (which is again ideal for me). I obtained my NEBOSH certificate in this way and I had no problems, having said this, I also do quite a bit of distance learning with the Open University and I am therefore used to this way of studying. The main thing to remember is you must be committed to your time management ensuring that you study for a minimum of two hours daily. This may seem like no time at all, but sometimes, trying to juggle your other commitments, and still find two hours to study, on a daily basis can be nearly impossible. Best of luck to you. If you have any further queries or concerns do not hesitate to drop me a line regards. Frank Macleod
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2000 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt I studied for the (old) diploma, on the subjects of Law and Risk Management, by distance learning, also with RRC. I too found their written materials were very good. I do think that studying by correspondence is more difficult than face-to-face tuition, since there is more effort required to make the time and to concentrate. There are also difficulties in that you do not have someone to ask you questions to check that you really do understand the material. I did do a revision day with a 'real' tutor before each exam, and found that this was essential as it gave me the insight into what level of knowledge was expected by the examiners. I passed both first time (probably by the skin of my teeth, but a pass is a pass). When self funding (as I was) there are excellent reasons for going by this route. In fact I did safety technology and occupational health without the distance learning course, but I did do the one-day revision sessions. I passed these as well. Why did I do it this way? Because I felt that safety technology and occupational health were much easier to learn from books than the law and risk management. I now have a good job in safety! Good luck to you in your studies. Regards Jane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 November 2000 23:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeremy Williams I am currently studying for the NEBOSH Diploma Part one at a local college of further education.I am currently employed by Corus U.K.(Formerly British Steel)As a full time Trade Union Appointed Safety Rep.Fortunately my employer has covered the course costs.The course is run on a part time basis every Thursday from 1.00pm til 9.00pm,a little anti social!!I have found the one to one with the course lecturers invaluable especially when struggling with assignments.With the distance learning course that is run by another local training outlet I have spoken to other colleagues who have struggled as the attendance is only once per month.The pass rate is also very low compared with the regular weekly attendance sessions.However,if funds and time are at a premium,then the distance learning is the only option.I am due to sit the exams in November of this year and am currently into lots of revision.