Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 April 2001 11:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Matthews This is a re-advertisement. My name is Bob Matthews and I am 51 years of age.I live in Oldham, Lancs. I am currently a health and Safety officer, and am also a qualified instructor/examiner for forklift trucks (all types). I also carry out a range of courses myself namely manual Handling, fire wardens, risk assessments, health and safety audits, etc.. I wish to find a company that is as committed to Health and Safety as much as I am. Is there such a company out there based in the North West? You can contact me on rmatt1@hotmail.com or via this forum Many Thanks Bob
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2001 08:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Bob, I assume you are, like me, very committed and very passionate about the health & safety cause. However, trying to find a company that is equally committed is a bit like going in search of the Holy Grail. I have been employed in H&S for over 12 years now and have worked for Local Authority and 3 national/multi national companies. Unfortunately none of these have a clue about total safety management and the resource requirement that is fundamental to its success. I currently work for one of the largest automotive suppliers in the world with about 150,000 employees in over 30 countries. I was appointed in November 2000 to look after 2 large sites. I report to 2 HR Managers, have no budget, no office, no clerical support, a job description that states I have no authority and therefore no chance of achieving my goal of accreditation to OHSAS18001. It has taken a long time, but I have come to the conclusion that H&S professionals will never be valued and ranked alongside HR & Quality as a significant business function. You only have to look at some of the vacancies in the SHP to appreciate this with companies asking for NEBOSH Diplomas, MIOSH, RSP and 5+ years experience for salaries of less than £25k. I have 2 teenage children and would not advise them to take up a career in H&S. If it hasn't made the grade by the year 2001 it never will. Good luck, and I hope you find the Holy Grail. Regards, Paul