Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 October 2000 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Samantha Bevington I'm looking for information on the legal requirements and health and safety training/implications of carrying a defibrillator in a chauffeur driven vehicle. Can anybody help?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2000 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Samantha, I am in the process of purchasing an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) for my organisation which will be for use in a building rather than being carried in a car. However, if you want to pick out the points that apply to your situation, then feel free! * I would recommend that the AED should be fully automatic & therefore easy to use. * Finance to purchase one may be available through the British Heart Foundation (Tel. 020 7487 9419). * Talk to your local ambulance service to assist in making your decision on which one to buy (NB their endorsement will be needed if you apply for funding) * As you will be carrying the AED in a vehicle, then I would suggest that you go for a model which is powered by a lithium battery which will give a shelf life of up to 5 years & up to 230 discharges. * Discussions with St John Ambulance & our own First-Aid providers confirm that any person who may use the AED should ideally be a certificated First Aider or at the very least have training in CPR. In addition, our Insurers will not provide legal liability cover unless our designated persons are fully trained & storage is regulated/controlled. * Additional training would then have to be given in the use of the AED (sometimes provided free by the supplier), but please note that re-training is also necessary (intervals suggested range from every 90 days to every 6 months). * Finally, every minute of delay reduces a persons chance of survival by 10% & so a quick response is vital. I hope that some of the above points are of use & if you want to discuss it further, then please use my e-mail link. Zyggy.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2000 09:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky I am part of a First Response team, and the previous info' is excellent. However I must stress the CPR training in case the defib is of no use,but do not let all this advice put you off - the defibs are fantastic machines and totally idiot proof. (We have a paramedic who trains us - paid for by the ambulance service, but that may be luck rather than by design, because he lives in the village. I have done a risk assessment in draft form if you want it, e-mail me .Best wishes, Nicky Best wishes
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 October 2000 09:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky I am part of a First Response team, and the previous info' is excellent. However I must stress the CPR training in case the defib is of no use,but do not let all this advice put you off - the defibs are fantastic machines and totally idiot proof. (We have a paramedic who trains us - paid for by the ambulance service, but that may be luck rather than by design, because he lives in the village. I have done a risk assessment in draft form if you want it, e-mail me.(Can you do that in this forum?)- Best wishes, Nicky Best wishes
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 October 2000 10:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Samantha Bevington Thanks Nicky for your info, you didn't give me your e-mail address, can you let me know at sam.bevington@staffordshire.gov.uk