Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2000 05:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Haroon Rasheed Tabani ALL Could anyone please guide me where to look for any HSE notes or guidance or any material related to 'Working at heights'. One thing is sure for those working at heights need to wear harnesses. But I donot have much information about it like training, safety checklist before using and other related aspects. Thanks H. Tabani
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 November 2000 01:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Garry Nabbe There is an Australian Standard that applies to our use of this equipment and it is titled "Australian Standard AS 2626-1983 - Industrial safety belts and harnesses - Selection use and maintenance:" I feel sure that you will have something similar in the UK. If you don't then look to the equipment manufacturer for guidance on training, inspection and use. In Oz we discourage the use of waist belts or rock climbing type harnesses as the advantages of having the anchorage point between the shoulder blades or on the chest in the prevention of lower back injuries cannot be over exaggerated. There is also a COP available at http://www.workcover.nsw...u/pdf/cop_safetyline.pdf (applies to NSW -Australia but may help in the absence of anything else)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 November 2000 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I would only want to consider fall restraint and fall arrest equipment if other safer means of protection (eg edge protection and elevated work platforms) were not reasonably practicable. You could obtain a copy of 'Health & Safety in Roof Work' (HSG 33) from the HSE at £8.50. In addition to discussing various safe working methods it provides a list of reference publications. Publications, videos, etc on ythis subject are also available from the Construction Industry Training Board (01485 577486).