Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2001 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Douglas oshea Can anybody help? I understand that there is a legal requirement to offer a medical questionnaire to all staff required to undertake night work. Does anybody have a copy of a questionnaire I could use as unfortunately our health and safety consultant can only offer me a food handlers medical questionnaire. Thanking you in anticipation.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2001 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Douglas. If you send me your Fax. no.by e-mail to: zyggy.turek@stockport.gov.uk I will send you a copy of ours. It's nothing fancy, but has been o.k.'d by our Occ. Health providers.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2001 14:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede There is a requirement to provide a 'free health assessment' for would be night workers. However firstly you should establish that the worker will be by definition a night worker. There is a legal definition as to what night time is, and how much work can be undertaken in that period before the definition 'night worker' kicks in.It need not be a questionnaire The health assessment itself is aimed at screening out personnel who may be adversely affected by night work. Typically these are persons that are on strict regimes who are required to take food or medication at specific times. Diabetics often (but not always) fall into this category. Similarly persons with sleep disorders. To assess this correctly you need to use a competent OHS professional who is familiar with your business. This could be a GP practice if such a person is not directly employed/contracted to your business. Therefore I would counsel against using a questionnaire yourself, especially if it has been drawn up to meet someone else's needs and circumstances that may not be the same as yours. Like risk assessments this ought not be generic.