Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2001 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Can anyone help me with the full title and ref. no of the DFE publication that dealt with accommodation, dimension, layouts, pupil / teacher ratios and general safety issues withing school workshops. I've lost mine and need to replace it. I think it was Design note 9. Many thanks in anticipation
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2001 17:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi There is detailed information on the DFEE website on the The 1996 School Premises Regulations - Circular number 10/96 http://www.dfee.gov.uk/circulars/10_96/summary.htm It is guidance of general nature--not specific to workshops.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 August 2001 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Thanks Jay. I've got that one but this other one is specifically for workshops. I just knew it as a design note and never took much notice of the full title! I have searched the DFEE site but can't find it, which seems ominous. Bryn
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 August 2001 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Hi Bryn, I'd recommend that you get hold of the British Standard BS 4163:2000, which has the snappy title "H&S for design and technology in schools and similar establishments - Code of Practice". It covers all the aspects you mention. If you really want the Design Note try calling DfES books on 0808 100 50 60. If you urgently need any bits of BS4163 give me a call and I can fax them to you. Hope this helps, regards, Zoe
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 August 2001 11:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi In section 3 of BS 4163:2000, there is reference to DFEE Building Bulletin 82--This bulletin is supposed to include guidance on layout. clearances etc. There is also a full list of other DFEE building & facilities guides in this BS
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 August 2001 12:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Deacon Some of the information you request is in: Building Bulletin 80: Science Accommodation in Secondary Schools: DfEE HMSO 0-11-271039-5, and Building Bulletin 81 Design & Technology in Secondary Schools: DfEE HMSO 0-11-270917-6 The full text of both of these documents is also to be found in Barbers' Electronic, and probably others of the full text information services. You may find that they also have other relevant publications. For science safety issues, there is also a lot of useful information published by CLEAPSS (which I think stands for the Confederation of Local Education Authority Providers of School Science) and from ASE (Association of Science Education). Jeff
Admin  
#7 Posted : 02 August 2001 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor BB81 is the one. It's worth getting a copy of the separate publications catalogue from the DfES Architects and Building Branch.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 02 August 2001 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Many thanks to all respondents! BS4163:2000 / BB81 now ordered...again - now which low-life failed to return the original, no Christmas hamper for them this year!