Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 August 2001 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Mackay I have a couple of water baths (24c) in the lab which we are having to clean regularly due to algea growth. Can any one recommend a biocide or similar product to control this algea growth that doesn't pose a significant risk to the lab staff
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 August 2001 12:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I not 100% regarding water baths, but Virkon is a very good disinfectant and as safe as they get, to use. All disinfectants attack living tissue (otherwise the would not do their job) and so many are often a bigger hazard than the organism you are trying to eradicate. I've got the company details somewhere, they have been very good with tech advice with me in the past.I guess they are very busy as this product is virtually the only one used in the foot & mouth epidemic.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2001 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne I used to use Aquasan tablets to prevent slime formation in waterbaths - it works brilliantly. They are available from Guest Medical, see http://www.guest-medical.co.uk/HTML/consumab.htm Virkon is a good general disinfectant (the manufacturers are Antec Ltd.) but I wouldn't recommend it for waterbaths, Jim - it's a bit corrosive, also it foams like billy-o! regards Diane Warne