Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2001 14:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Blair I am considering writing a manual that should help Designers comply with Reg 13 of the CDM Regs. The Manual will be called something like DORR (Designed Out Risk Register), or something like that. The principle of the manual would be to provide practical design solutions for avoiding (or designing out) risks in the contruction and maintenance process. It would supplement the information provided in the HSC publication "Designing for Health and Safety in Construction", by providing actual solutions to safety problems in construction. The manual would include a step by step checklist for deisgners to ensure that they have looked at every aspect of their design. At the end of the day the designer would have documented evidence that they have complied with the CDM Regs and the client would get a safer building to operate and maintain. Does anyone know if this has been done or attempted ? If so could you point me in the right direction. If not would anyone like to get involved in the compliation of the manual. Regards Andrew Blair
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2001 15:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Andrew, CIRIA produced an excellent document that you should read before going too much further. It highlights hazards and possible solutions for designers at each stage of the project. The book "Report 166 - CDM Regulations Work Sector Guidance for Designers" is available from CIRIA. Their web address is http://www.ciria.org.uk/ If you have any difficulty getting it, let me know and I will see if I can get you one. Regards and good luck Ciaran mailto:ciaran@confinedspaces.com
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 August 2001 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Blair Thanks Ciaran, That was a big help. Regards Andrew (andrew.blair@costain.com)