Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2001 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Blair Does anyone know where I can obtain or download a set of standard COSHH Assessments for materials commonly used in the construction process, ie paints, adhesives, cement, MDF board, wood dust, lead, etc. Alternatively, if anyone knows of an online database of COSHH assessments please let me know. Thanks, Andy Blair
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2001 20:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Andy, My company uses software from Sypol, who provide a complete assessment and database package. See them at www.sypol.co.uk Please note that I am in no way endorsing Sypol or their products (until they start paying me). Regards, Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2001 08:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Andrew I think you're on a non-starter here. Like all other risk assessments, COSHH assessments depend, among other things, on the environment and the individual - for instance an asthmatic will have different critical levels than a non-sufferer. Two rooms next door to each other, one with a window and one without, will require to be assessed separately. Just as an example, an assessment for methane will depend on whether it is present in a landfill site or a sewage pipe. There are plenty of Safety Data Sheets available on the net (try the Oxford University Chemistry site), but the actual assessment requires local knowledge of how the substance is used Richard
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2001 08:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson I tend to agree with Richard here. Please note that I did not say I was endorsing the software, as I'm not convinced it is effective for the reasons Richard has identified. All risk assessments should be specific to individual circumstances. Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 August 2001 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Blair Dear Richard & Nick Thanks for your responses. I agree that issues specific to the environment and activity must be considered when preparing COSHH assessments. I think what I should be looking for are Safety Data Sheets with information on the chemical & biological effects of materials. These safety data sheets would then help me prepare the COSHH assessment for the activity/construction site. If you know of any other sources of material safety data sheets, please tell me. (Sypol & Oxford University Sites were very useful, thanks) Regards, Andrew
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 August 2001 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan Your supplier should must be able to supply you with data sheets and I have found the following website useful for getting data sheets on different chemicals online- http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 August 2001 14:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Andrew Go to "MSDS on the Internet" at www.ilpi.com/msds/index.html. It has a tremendous amount of stuff Richard