Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2001 21:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod I am at present gathering information, in order to prepare a procedure for the safe use of a High Pressure Wash Down Unit. If anyone out there, has any material that may assist me in this task I would be most greatfull. Thanks in advance. your assistance is appreciated. Regards Frank Macleod
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2001 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Frank, I have pasted below the results of a hazard identification exercise for a portable pressure washer, which I hope may be of some help. The info was put together from other people's usage guides and manufacturers' advice. Regards Diane Mechanical hazards Impact · A spray lance or hose can move very suddenly and strike people, if fluid suddenly flows at high pressure. The water jet or spray can knock pieces off a surface, especially if the wrong nozzle or pressure is being used, and these pieces could hit someone standing nearby. High pressure fluid ejection · Pressure washers operate at pressures from 1,000 to 5,000 psi. Fluid under pressure from spray or leaks can penetrate the skin or eyes, causing serious injury that could result in amputation or death. High pressure leaks can occur, for example, if the hose is bent beyond the manufacturer's specified minimum bend radius, causing the hose to burst. They can also occur if a pump malfunctions causing unusually high pressures. Non-mechanical Thermal · When hot water washers are used there is a risk of scalds. This is a risk, for example, if a hose is used that does not have the temperature capacity for hot water washing - the hose core may become hard and crack, and eventually burst. Electrical · The weakest part of the cleaner is the power cable. Electrical faults in the plug, cable or equipment may make the metal lance at the end of the flexible hose, or the machine's casing, live, causing an electric shock risk. The risk is heightened because of the water present. Materials and substances · When petrol-driven washers are used, the petrol itself is a hazard, being toxic, volatile and flammable. The cleaning fluid may contain detergents and waxes, which may be hazardous to health, e.g. detergents can cause dermatitis and allergies. If chemical injection cleaning is taking place, more aggressive chemicals may be in use. Ergonomic · Prolonged pressure washing in poor postures could cause muscle strain and fatigue, for example if a house exterior is being cleaned and the operator has to reach upwards with the spray lance for long periods. Lifting or transporting the cleaner could be a manual handling hazard.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2001 09:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Frank, I've just noticed that the formatting in my reply has gone wrong during posting - headings and bullet points have disappeared so everything runs together. This makes it hard to read. Hope it's still understandable. Diane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 August 2001 15:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David M. Shearer Frank I read your request for information on water jetting. The people to speak to are: Water Jetting Association. Phone No: 01487 834034. Web site: www.waterjetting.org.uk Hope this helps you. Regards David Shearer
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 September 2001 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod Diane/David, Thankyou for your invaluable assistance. I am sorry it has taken so long to reply but I have only just arrived back onshore. The info you have both supplied will be put to good use. Once again many thanks. Regards Frank