Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2001 09:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Does anybody know of a safer alternative to trichloroethane for use as a degreaser? Bob R
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2001 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. As An alternative have you looked at steam cleaning methods. If this is impractical you could contact the following Companies who I am sure will be able to assist with a safer chemical alternative Fisher Scientific Tel: 01509 231166 Merck Tel: 01202 669700 Keith
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2001 11:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Charles Walkers in Bingley use a degreaser called MC 1995 which is used as a safer alternative to trichloroethane. It is made by a company called Main Chemicals in the Bradford area. I'll find out more when their safety rep gets back into work.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2001 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Try Oil Cleaning Bio Products, who have a web site at www.ocbp.co.uk or EnviroSan at www.environmentaldegreasers.com They have products which are based on natural solvents and on biological degreasers and which are not only safer to the user than chemical solvents - especially "trike" - but also to the environment. john
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 August 2001 16:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Many thanks for your helpful responses. Bob R
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 August 2001 19:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Bob I thought that trichloroethane had been banned for some years by the Montreal Protocol; how come you have been using it? Paul Leadbetter