Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 August 2001 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Peirce Can anyone help as to where I can find details of health and safety requirements relating to a small paint spraying booth ? The operation would be to spray blue paint on approximately 15 - 20 small items and would be used once a week on average. Most of the info I have come across is with regard to large paint spraying operations such as vehicle body workshops etc which is not really relevant. Thanks Brian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2001 15:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Juliet Fennell Brian, I had to deal with this once with a charity organisation - not much money. They fabricated parts and had to spray paint them. While I cant remember the exact guidance I know the issue of local extract ventilation arose, even though they did not do much spray painting. The best way to start is to get the MSDS on the chemical (paint). It should provide advice on occupational exposure levels and precautions to take. It may be necessary then to monitor the amount of exposure to your employees. I would also suggest you get the guidance on spray painting in the motor industry as it may provide some practicable advice. Regards Juliet
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 August 2001 16:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Bob, I know as much about paint spraying as I do about pedigree ferret breeding, but I thought I'd offer something I remembered from an HSE book. The book is "Health & Safety in Engineering Workshops", HS(G)129. Pages 21-22 are about LEV - very importnat here as Juliet says - and pages 67-68 are about spraypainting booths, including making your own. It's good stuff. If you haven't got the book and would like the relevant pages, email me at dew5@le.ac.uk with your address and I'll send a photocopy. Regards Diane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 August 2001 17:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Delilah HSG178 The Spraying of Flammable Liquids contains some excellent information
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2001 20:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I've been looking after my neighbour's ferrets while he was on holiday last week. They stink and bite. I have no observations on breeding habits however. For my sins I also have to deal with considerable commercial paint spraying operations. As you say, most literature available addresses big scale stuff. It may well be that you just need to do this in a well ventilated area - outside for preference. Without viewing msds, spray methods and paint quantities it is difficult to give accurate advice. If you want me to give specific advice please contact me at jim@sgplc.co.uk and I'll do what I can to help.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 August 2001 07:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By R.Woods You could use COSHH essentials. When I was taught how to use it your problem was one of the examples used, Contact me and either myself or ashley will sort out the info you need.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 August 2001 08:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Scargill Try HSG178 Spraying of Flammable Liquids, a very useful document
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 August 2001 08:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard It's a bit of a long shot, but what about reading across and adapting from the precautions used with fume cupboards? Not so much for the real hairy stuff, but the sort used in schools and colleges? Try your local secondary school or college (not university - you are back with the real hairy stuff there). I have used a similar sort of bench top enclosure for bead blasting, tho' not recently. Richard
Admin  
#9 Posted : 23 August 2001 20:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Brian. You small paint spary booth may well fall under the Confined Spaces Regulations 1997. I suggest you consult the regs, in respect of waht is a confined space - the guidance and ACoP. regards... Stuart Nagle