Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2001 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell I would like to find out if employees need a license to drive vehicles on site. Our employees drive articulated lorries on site to "shunt" them from one loading bay to another. I have been told that they do not require a licence unless the general public have access to the area. However, they go on to say that all formal/informal visitors, auditors, and even employees of the group are deemed as General Public. If this is the case we will have to train all staff and then surely lose them to haulier. Has anyone had a similar experience or can confirm/deny/define. All replies greatly appreciated. Regards Andrew
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2001 11:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Andrew My gut feeling is that the interpretation has been taken too far in that it is the Public Highway and roads open to the public for use that are the control point. A site has lawful visitors - that does not make them general public. The requirement is for the employer to show these people are adequately trained for the task ie. low speed manoevring without other traffic creating problems. Define the level of training and certify in some way. Ultimately the test resolves as a matter of are they competent - some form of training helps to demonstrate but supervisors do need to show a level of monitoring of performance and correction of defects.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 August 2001 14:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Blair I agree with Robert. The control point for when a licence is required to operate a vehicle is when it drives on to a public highway or public area. It will also depend on the type of site vehicle aswell. Competency certificates such as the CTA (Plant Operators) scheme must be held by the operators of your plant as a minimum. On the matter of the definition of general public. Authorised persons on site are classified as workers or operatives and should be controlled as such. Unauthorised persons on site must be prevented from entering site in first place by adequate security. The fact that authorised or unauthorised persons are on your site should not effect the licence or competency requirements of your plant operators.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 August 2001 14:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard On the other hand see my thread of 14 August and the responses - a roadway is something that is clearly marked as such and used as such, and used by members of the public. This includes lay bys, car parks and roads on private industrial estates and they are subject to normal policing! Richard
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 August 2001 18:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Andrew. I agre with the conclusions of Robert K Lewis, and would add to this that visitors to the site should be excluded form and seperated from the area where all such maneouvers are taking place. If visiting to see such areas, a 'place of safety' away from the traffice movements should be provided. stuart nagle