Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 September 2001 05:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Breen I work as a delivery driver,driving a Transit van.The job entails delivering to shops and hospitals mainly,but our company have now taken on the role of `anything goes`,ie:farms,vets and private addresses.My question is can my employers insist I deliver goods to addresses even if it means I dont get finished until 8 or 9pm after starting the day at 7am with a 45min(if I am lucky)break at lunchtime? Surely even though my van is not on tacho,there will be a limit as to how long one can work for in any one day? How should I approach my employers about this because the `union s/steward` is useless.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2001 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Gledhill Alan If your "Transit" is plated at or above 3.5 tons Gross weight then you should covered by the requirements of the Drivers Hours Reg's. Try the following link:- www.roads.dtlr.gov.uk/roadsafety/tachograph/ Regards Mick Gledhill
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2001 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Have you opted out of the working time regulations. If not then you are limited to a maximum 48 hour week averaged over a set period. email me with an address and i'll put info in the post. Robert Woods.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 September 2001 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Your employer is obligated to carry out a risk assessment for driving just as he would have to do for other 'at risk' tasks. This should highlight the risks of driving excess hours, lifting loads, lone working, breakdowns, driving skills (have you been defensive driver trained?, personal attack, eyesight, vehicle condition, road conditions etc. The HSE and DETR are working at present on guidance for managing occupational road risk and RoSPA has done a lot of work here also, with many lead contributors in the driving/fleet industry. I will email you the DETR Draft for information. The key consideration for you will be to consider what the risks are when you have to drive what you regard as 'excessive' hours. This could well fall within the Working Hours allowance but still be presenting a risk for you. Doing simple things like taking a caffeine tablet or a caffeine drink sometimes work swell for some people, as does stopping and walking around - hence this should be allowed for in the driving plan.