Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2001 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Thorne We have recently been notified of a problem with some high speed CD ROM drives (48X or higher speed) that can become dangerous when used with CD ROM disks with small cracks on the disk inner rim. In extreme circumstances apparently, fragments of the broken disk can be expelled through the front cover of the drive at high speed. The product manufacturer has acted responsibly in advising users of the problem. My question is whether this problem is more widespread than the one manufacturer. Has anyone any experience or further information?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2001 12:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood This is a new problem for me but recently I discovered a similar one when a person bent a CDROM Disk to destroy it, and the Disk shattered violently, producing lots of very sharp fragments, which sprayed around the office! A warning should be applied which obviates such a risk. If anyone has this experience and has a solution, I will be happy to listen!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2001 13:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods there are known problems with the fast drives 48X or better. If the disc is inserted incorrectly ie not fully in tray when starting up. It will shatter due to the speed at which the drive starts up. Bob