Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2001 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dot Tadman I have been informed (not necessarily by a reliable source) that there is new legislation in the pipeline with regards to wearing airlines for confined space work, and that it will be necessary to wear this for "all" confined space work I haven't heard of this, has anyone else? Is it happening or something similar. Regards, Dot
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 September 2001 21:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Lusby Dot Following standard risk mitigation hierarchies would indicate that there is a preference for a variety of steps before utilising PPE. The wearing of BA (whether umbilical supplied or cylinder) is not without its own problems: Noise, Communication difficulties, gas supply quantity, gas supply quality, excursion length, bail out facilities and emergency response, tactile and visual acuity loss...etc. I guess with these in mind, I would think it is extremely unlikely( though stranger things have probaly happened) that the wearing of umbilical supplied BA is likely to be made legally compulsory, especially in the face of better & safer alternatives. Regards Nigel
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 September 2001 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Get in touch with the Water Industry Training Association or Authority WITA they have the most up to date info on working in confined spaces. hope this helps Robert Woods.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 September 2001 11:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods They are now called BETWI and there website address is http://www.betwi.demon.co.uk Robert Woods.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 September 2001 13:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dot Tadman Thanks guys, most helpful. We always assess the confined space first and even if we didn't need BA we always carry the complete confined space equipment with us in the likelyhood of situation changes. We do a variety of work which includes installation of pumping equipment within new sites as well as active sewage chambers and also control panels in control rooms. It would be a bit silly if you had to wear full kit when not necessary into the likes of a large room with only a control panel in it and lots of ventilation. I thought it was a bit far fetched, but had to ask the question in case I had missed something. Thank you for your help once again. Regards, Dot