Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2001 07:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Taileuk Our worker has to work on container top (one tier) for repair. Is there any practicable measure for safeguarding them from falling. You know, the container is over 2 m in height!!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2001 08:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Is there a possibility of providing temporary fencing or repairing the container under a point that is suitable to attach a harness? Robert Woods.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2001 08:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Can they work from a scaffold tower and/or use the tower to provide edge protection - with a method statement that no-one is to work with an unprotected edge?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2001 18:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Lusby You are right to be concerned about the risk. I worked for a company where a worker carrying out similar work, fell from the top of a container and died from his injuries. You could empty the container and turn it on its side, or use a MEWP or cherry picker, or suspend fall arrestors from a crane over the container (isolate it correctly). I also remember seeing a product advertised in the SHP that was some sort of clip on railing specifically for container tops...Cant remember specifics, maybe somebody else has seen it? Depending on your circumstances I guess there are a variety of things you could use, maybe rope access. Its better to have a structured approach than allow your workers to use an opportunistic policy and run over the tops, by structured I mean a method of identifying containers that need repair and moving them to an area where they can be repaired, where the necessary equipment is to protect the people on top(scaffolding etc), and those around it. Regards Nigel
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 September 2001 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Wilkes I remember seeing ages ago a publication from a trade association (can't remember which?)showing some of these options. I think it also showed using a FLT and cage. The booklet was called "container top safety". Getting this or its modern equivakent may help pursuade the management if they are a bit reluctant. Barry
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 September 2001 11:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson There is an interesting article in September's Practitioner about the hierarchial approach to working at height. Nick