Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2001 18:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Matthews Hello All, I train staff to be fire wardens and I have been asked what the situation would be if a fire warden missed someone in the event of a fire and the person was injured or killed. Would be fire warden be responsible or be prosecuted by HSE? I think not as management should ensure all fire wardens are retrained every 6 months and ensure the fire wardens know exactly what they should do. What do you think? Regards Bob Matthews
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2001 15:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Angelo Pinheiro Bob, If the fire wardens are not paid for this service, i.e. it is voluntary, they should be protected from prosecution in the situation you have described. However, the company will be expected to demonstrate their due diligence to the investigating agencies in a)informing all employees and visitors of fire and emergency procedure, b)installing the required fire detection and fighting equipment, as required by regulations, c)having emergency response plans, d)conducting drills and exercises to test the ERP, e)performing and following-up on routine fire and safety inspections. Angelo Pinheiro
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 September 2001 09:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard I don't think that fire wardens would be any more at risk in this situation than designated first aiders (or even Health & Safety Officers!). While criminal negligence would, and should, be punished, the normal principles of "due diligence" and "best efforts" would surely apply here? Richard