Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2001 19:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Does anyone have any experience of risk assessment at football stadiums? If so could you point me in the right direction for information about specific hazards that need to be taken into account and any sucessful risk reduction measures used? Thanks Bob Randall
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2001 18:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett Bob, A risk assessment will throw up things such as slips, trips, falls, blocked gangways, items which can be used as weapons, potential for fires (waste bins), safety of support staff eg fast food vendors, lone workers, violence, abuse, harrassment,lost children, etc etc. Also consider first aid provisions for both staff and supporters. I have first hand experience of all these as I used to work at a football ground ! I believe it is a requirement, (probably under the Taylor report), that all safety stewards are trained to a required standard. The HSE publish guidance : HSG154 Managing Crowds Safely (£17.50) HSG195 The event Safety Guide (£20.00) INDG142 Managing crowds Safely (Free leaflet) Good Luck Lee.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2001 20:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Westhead Bob, You might get some guidance from your local council, as they issue a General Safety Certificate for football stadiums, all football clubs must comply with the Certificate. You might also contact your local council for information from the "grounds safety advisory group". You may also find some usful information in the Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds (the Green Guide)latest edition?. Are you looking at the safety lay out of a stadium or risk assessments for all concerned ie. public, all staff full or part time (including the stewards). Dave.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 September 2001 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Thanks to you both for your replies. Dave: I will be initially conducting a safety audit and would intend to have a "broad brush" approach. What I mean is I will establish things such as: Do they gave a safety policy? Does the policy reflect HSG 65 standards? Is the policy put into practice? Is the policy effective? I will also look at their management of H&S to check for compliance with the Management regs and the workplace regs etc., etc. Spectator safety will obviously be a major factor and I will look at evacuation procedures, fire safety measures, access and egress, stewarding etc. I will naturally also look at physical conditions in respect of the presence of the various hazards that might be encountered and the effectiveness of their control measures. My remit is to establish the current position, identify gaps and make recommendations for closing those gaps. I have obtained a copy of HS(G)154 and will also get the Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds. What I was really looking for help with was the experience side of the "competence equation". If anybody has relevant experience and would be able to give me an insight into that experience that would be very helpful. Thanks Bob R
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 September 2001 22:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Westhead Bob, I might have something of interest to you. Last year I completed a project on "safety" at football grounds as part of my Diploma. It is to large to send you as an attatchment but you can Email me and I might be able to take some of it out for you. Where abouts is the football ground that you are working at? My Email address is:westheaddavid@hotmail.com Dave.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 October 2001 20:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By nigel a evans Bob You may have all you need by now but just to let you know. I have been working for a football club for a number of years now. I carry out an audit each year and have assisted the managers with risk assesments across most of the business if there is anything I can help you with please feel free to contact me. My email address is nigeaevans@aol.com Regards Nigel