Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 September 2001 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey In the UK legislation on the Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road is there a derogation that comes into force in December this year with regard to the carrying and packaging of clinical waste? I have been informed that yellow plastic bags will have to be replaced with rigid packaging ?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2001 20:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Try (this is not a joke) WAMITAB www.wamitab.org.uk
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2001 08:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Overbury Peter There is currently a derrogation that applies in the UK to the packaging of clinical waste for transport. This derrogation currently allows waste classified as UN 3291 Clinical Waste, Unspecified, N.O.S. to be transported in UN-approved plastic sacks. Unfortunately the derrogation expires on 31 December 2001. The waste will then require packaging in UN-approved rigid-sided containers. This is a simplified summary of the situation. Further details can be obtained from a variety of sources which may include: . Your transport/disposal contractor. . Your Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser. . The HSE. The intention (as I understand it) is that clinical waste is safely packaged for transport by road (and by rail/waterways but I have no experience with these modes of transport). One system that we are considering implementing is to have waste bagged up in yellow bags and to put these bags into UN-approved wheely bins for transport. For smaller scale use the waste can be put into UN-apporved medibins (either 30 or 60 litre one-shot bins). The Health Services Advisory Committee publish a book, Safe Disposal of Clinical Waste, that is essential reading for anybody involved with the control of clinical waste. ISBN no 0-7176-2492-7. This is the sort version (believe it or not) - if you would like to discuss the matter further please do not hesitate to email me. Tony Overbury
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2001 10:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Dickerson Peter, I think Tony has provided you with the main points regarding the transportation of clinical waste. In my Trust we are purchasing approved UN containers in which we will place the yellow bags for transportation. The sharps containers are considered to comply with the requirements and we will continue to transport without placing them in another ridgid container.We transport along the public highway and therefore our drivers are required to be ARD trained and are booked to attend a City and Guilds course in the near future.I understand that if your employees do not drive on the public highway they do not have to have the ARD qualification. Hope this assists. Jim