Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 September 2001 22:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Wayne Gault Dear Colleagues, The concept of blame, its nature, prevalence and consequences for H&S has fascinated me for some time. However, as far as I can tell, little research has been done in this area other than the implications flowing from causation/ nature of error type work. I'm looking for an MBA dissertation topic and I'm thinking of doing something on 'blame - its nature and consequences for safety within the NHS'. I suppose this will involve a review of current thinking on blame, development and application of some sort of instrument to measure the culture of blame within an NHS Trust along with the implications this might have for H&S practice. Does anyone else share this interest? If so, I'd be glad to hear from you with any ideas, suggestions for research in this area or any material you may have come across that might be considered relevant. I'll acknowledge all assistance and will provide a copy of my final work. Kind regards, Wayne Gault Risk Manager Grampian University Hospitals NHS Trust
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2001 13:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede If you look at other industries there is more interest in the concept of blame culture. In the rail industry where I work and Civil Aviation there are confidential reporting systems (CIRAS for rail, BASIS and CHIRP for aviation) run external to the industry itself. So you could research the blame cultures in those industries and then seek parallels in the NHS. If this was backed up by first hand research it would become a fascinating topic for an MBA dissertation. Without re reading my notes for my MBA which was more focused on safety and corporate culture I cannot be more specific than that.