Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2001 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm My employer, a further education college is currently in the process of upgrading or woodworking machine shop, and the debate has begun with regards to machinery set up. I have insured that all the machinery is compliant with the Safe use of Woodworking AcOP. I have asked also insisted on a adequate extraction system be fitted to each machine. This would require the machine shop to be located in an adjacent room, and so the problems begin. On one hand there is an issue with safe supervision when the lecturer is teaching students on the machinery (one to one)or when "compotent" members of staff and students are useing the machinery, and on the other hand I have issuse with noise and safe working space if we continue with the current setup of the workbenches and machinery in the same room. Can anybody advise on current good practice within education with regards to woodworking machinery? Should it be located in the same area as general workbenches or should it be in a seperate room.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2001 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack I know they are primarily for schools but the following might help: DfES Building Bulletin 81, Design & Technology in Secondary Schools BS4163, H&S in D&T departments in schools and similar establishments (from memory)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 September 2001 15:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Maggie Atterbury Malcolm, Jack is absolutely right. If you have studentsbetween 16 and 18 you need to be aware of BS4163:2000 Health and Safety for design technology in schools and similar establishments - Code of practice. It sets out clearly LEV requirements etc and the extra standards that are necessary with young and inexperienced students. The positioning of the machinery must be based on your risk assessments, given the hazards of using each machine, the age and experience of the students, their probable standard of behaviour, the level of required supervision, space needed around each machine for safe working, noise etc. So best practice for someone else's area may not be appropriate for yours. I hope this is helpful Maggie Atterbury
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2001 20:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker If you are happy with all other safety aspects, the LEV problem might be overcome with a self contained extractor. The way I read your enquiry is you want to move to an outside wall for extraction purposes We have several of these I can find details if you wish.They are basically a purpose build vacuum cleaner that filters and re-cycles the air.