Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2001 10:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Rhodes
In an attempt to measure safety culture in an organisation, I am looking for a questionnaire or similar type mechanism to achieve this, can anyone point me in the right direction, or have any other ideas ...dave
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2001 11:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Dave,
HSE produce an electronic Safety Climate Survey Tool. I've never used it, but it looks pretty good. It produces questionairres, analyses results etc.

Is there anyone who has actually used it?
I think it costs about £200, its in their brochure.

Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2001 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede
The HSE climate tool is excellent and my present company, a large conglomerate of firms in different businesses are in the throes of carrying out the survey now. It also comes with the software to process the results.

The downside of it is that it is a big questionnaire going to 70 statements that have to be assessed using a Likert scale.

Therefore it takes a lot of encouragement of the workforce to ensure that a large sample complete it. We suggest that the workforce are allowed a 30 minute break to fill it in.

Also if you have a sizeable workforce then the responses take a lot of processing by someone.

So if you have a organisation that is committed to measuring safety culture and learning about themselves and are prepared to make the investment in time and effort then it is for you.

However you can devise your own. I did this for my MBA dissertation as I could not persuade my, then employer to allow the workforce to have time to fill in the form or provide me resources to input the data received and analyse the results.

So you pays your money and.....
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2001 16:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Lusby
Dave,
A tool is available online(1) which was referred to in a paper(2). It may prove to be adaptable and though it was created for the offshore industry, has the advantage of being provided free.
Regards Nigel

(1) Loughborough University,. 1999. Offshore Safety Climate Assessment tool [online] UK. Available from: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ec/JIP/

(2) Cox, S ,J,.and Cheyne,A,J,T,. 2000. Assessing safety culture in offshore environments, Safety Science, 34 (2000) 111-129.

Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2001 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram
A useful reference is the document "Changing Minds" produced by the UK offshore industry Step Change initiative - in particular the Safety Culture Maturity Model, which may help you think through where your organisationis at present. Details on how to obtain it are on the Step Change website (Step.steel-sci.org). It may seem a bit of a pain to register, but it's worth it when you get there!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 September 2001 17:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Ian,
Enjoyed your article on the ILO MS Guidelines. What do you think of the guidelines? Similar to HS(G)65 and OHSAS18001? It seems to be based on the plan-do-check-act continual improvement theory. Is there things in it that can be added to existing management systems based on established systems?

Nick