Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2001 15:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Mackay Housekeeping on my facility is pretty good but I would like to improve it further. Currently the line managers undertake monthly hazard and housekeeping inspections and report on and correct difficiencies. I would like to quantify these inspections so that we can track improvements (or otherwise) and use this metric in line managers perfomance based assessment system. What I am looking for (not wishing to rinvent the wheel) is a simple system that quabtifies housekeeping. Does anyone have one they can let me use and adapt for this site Regards Mike
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 September 2001 18:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Michael, Sounds like a good time for Safety Sampling? This will give performance scores that good be plotted on graphs and performance monitored. Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 September 2001 21:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Mike, Sounds to be a good system, have to put one in myself v. soon. One question though, do your line managers inspect their own dept.? If so how can you assure quality and reliability with production pressures/targets/bonuses etc? A system has just been passed to me; Senior manager H&S coordinator/officer etc Dept manager Safety rep/employee rep Employee observer As a team, perform monthly inspections on a calendar rota, team would change using different employee rep. + senior manager each time. I am sure that the idea is only new to me but it does sound workable and would give that element of involvement to all. Most importantly in my case, to employee's and senior managers. Any thoughts? Regards Andrew
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 September 2001 13:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey Surely no matter who carries out these inspections or tours, commercial needs will have to take priority, unless for some reason you have a financial cushion against which the work is planned. Most cleaning or housekeeping activities require speed and work to a set standard, motivation against staff remuneration are where conflict normally appears. In reality is it not that this type of activity is normally at a low pay scale, attracts untrained operatives with little motivation financially to achieve and an acceptance of risk by managers. In fact managers are normally under as much pressure as the operative and has to push more to achieve profit margins. I do not disagree with inspection or audit, as long as it is practical and considers all the pressures on staff and managers.