Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2001 08:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Breen my son works part time in a grocery store(big one)and he`s also a student at college on 3/4 days a week...now the store has asked to work straight after college on a couple of nights and the other day asked him to work from 8am to 8pm..I told him to make sure he had the correct amount of breaks for working such long hours...he`s 16years old.I told him that I`m sure they are breaking some law by asking him to work such times and hours........am I right? or just molly-coddling..
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2001 12:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Alan you are not molly coddling your son just looking after his welfare. Which comes first his skill at stacking shelves or scanning bar codes or his education. You obviously know the answer. Some supermarkets use students as the backbone of their staffing arrangements after all they are a good source of cheap labour which enable the shareholders to maximise their profits. Young workers also know very little about their rights regarding employment and health and safety. Which is about the same amount as a lot of supermarket managers know [trust me i've got the years of experiance]. Because young workers have this lack of knowledge managers can get them to do things an adult wouldn't [another good reason to employ them]. I have emailed you info on the working time directive which should answer your questions. If you want more information on Health and safety for young workers email me and i'll send it on. By the way the info is free. Robert Woods.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2001 21:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett Alan, The Working Time Regulations 1998. A young worker is someone who is above the minimum school leaving age but under 18. Special Rules for Young Workers Daily rest A young worker is entitled to 12 uninterrupted hours in each 24-hour period in which they work. The rest may be interrupted if periods of work are split up over the day or do not last long. A young workers entitlement to daily rest can be reduced or excluded in exceptional circumstances only. Where this occurs, the young worker should receive compensatory rest within 3 weeks. Weekly rest Young workers are entitled to two days off each week. This cannot be averaged over a two-week period. If the nature of the job makes it unavoidable, a young workers weekly time off can be reduced to 36 hours. Kind Regards Lee. http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_regs/wtr0.htm