Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2001 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey Does anyone know where I can get hold of a simple guide on hand signals when manoeuvring vehicles. I would like to use this to re-enforce training and give banks man further guidance for manoeuvring in and out of the public highway. A web site would be brilliant, otherwise a publication. Thank you
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2001 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Peter This is a can of worms. The banksman certificate does not cover this and there is debate about the right way. One school of thought places the banksman at the front and a secondary at the rear. The other places the bank at the rear and leaves the driver to watch the front. The first school argues the driver simply looks ahead and follows directions, the banksman then indicates with horizontal arms the turn direction- the continue signal is then indicated by both arms horizontal in front. The steering wheel is only turned when the arm is stretched left or right. The bank is in total control. If there is no signal all manouevres stop. The second school gives freedom to the driver and the bank effectively only indicates left and right and allows straight reverse until a need for change occurs. Hence I have seen no firm indications. As long as the system is understood it matters little. I seem to think the Army practise(d) the first option-Any takers? Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2001 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jayne Freeman Peter, Consult the Safety Signs and Signals Regulations 1996 (SI 1996 No341). This regulation should give you a guide on the use of all types of signs and signals, it should also illustrate the hand/arm signals. I have a couple of pages with hand/arm signal illustrations, the quality is not great but it may help. E:mail me with your postal address if you need them. Hope this is of help. Jayne Freeman
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2001 21:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Croasdale This is a matter that I have been reviewing myself. However it appears the HSE have different views or I believe they have. If you look at the safety signs & signals regs the hand signal pictures for move forward and move backwards don't seem logical if acting as a banksman and working with vehicles. If you look at HSG(144) on page 19 the move forward and move backward actions are the same as safety signs & signals regs, however to go right and go left don't seem logical. Have a look! I have looked at the safety signals in BS 7121 and they are logical and seem to follow the HSE leaflet IND(G) 148(L) Reversing Vehicles. Move towards the signaller and move away from the signaller are crystal clear to me. I have spoken to the HSE about the confusion and the initial response was we are not training the people the correct way. I have shown all 3 sets of signals to a number of people and they see the same view as me. Are we all mad! The best solution in my opinion is to follow the leaflet IND(G) 148 (L). I would appreciate if someone out there would review what I have said, I don't mind putting the white coat on and returning to my cell! Steve
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 September 2001 22:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil haworth Peter, there is an HSE booklet called Reversing Vehicles - the copy I have is 1/94 IND(G) 148L. In the booklet is basic banksman's duties and signals. However I am not sure if there is a newer publication availlable, or if this fits your bill. If you want this copy send me your address and I'll post it. E-mail is phil@lookup.fslife.co.uk
Admin  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2001 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The comment by Steve reflects the two schools of thought. If the signaller is at the front the arm indicates the steering wheel turn ie right arm out is a left, anti-clockwise, turn and vice versa. For a rear positioned signaller the arms are incorrect in the pictures. All diagrams have to be read from the drivers perspective. Bob