Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2000 22:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Angela This is the first dipping of my toe in the water, and like any good health and safety person I'm trying to make sure that I've collected as much information about the situation as possible. Basically, I'm trying to decide if the grass is greener on other pastures. In about 6 months time I will hopefully graduate with a good degree BSc (Hons) Safety, Health and Environmental Management. This will be after five years part-time studying including the year which I had at the beginning to get first my Certificate and then my Diploma. Currently I work in the nuclear sector with about 50% of my time spent on radiological protection and personal dosimetry. The other 50% of my time is spent on conventional safety, including full day training seminars and investigations. I have reached a managerial position having spent 9 years for the same nuclear company carrying out chemical analysis and the past 6 years in Operational Health and Safety. So, my current pay is in the region of £26,000 at age 35 yrs. I obviously feel very loyal to the company, and would not leave without first giving the subject a very thorough thinking over. At the same time however I do not want to be stifling my career opportunities. So, what do other people in the health and safety arena think? Do my qualifications and experience stand me in a good position for a better paid job with more responsibility? The aspect of my job that I enjoy the most is the investigative work and the training as I enjoy interaction with the workforce. I look forward to hearing any persons thoughts on this. Angela
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 December 2000 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson Angela With the introduction of IRR99 and the requirement for RPAs to be formally certified I would be inclined, if you are not already certified as an RPA, to go down that track. Come Dec 2004 when the grandfather rights run out there is I suspect going to be a number of jobs coming up within the HE sector and with your background you could be well suited for a safety position with RPA responsibilities. Typically such a role at this time would attract a salary of over 30k. I must stress this is only a personal opinion.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 December 2000 21:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant Dear Angela, My advice is to stay put for now until you have finished your degree course. I agree with John that there will be some good opportunities soon so it makes sense to get your qualifications and then "test the water". Your salary band is pretty good for your position and only the very senior positions in large companies are obtaining more. For what it is worth, before I retired I was a senior HS & E adviser in the NHS on approximately your salary band with both FIOSH and an MSc in Environmental Sciences so don't dispair and I am sure that opportunities will arise. You may even find that your own company will value your "enhanced worth" and make it worth your while to stay. Good Luck! Martin Bessant.