Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2000 00:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams I will shortly be completing the TUC Occupational Health and Safety Certificate which is accepted by IOSH and IIRSM for lower level membership (Tech SP). I have 8 years experience of health and safety from a union point of view (is this likely to be held against me?) covering work place inspections, accident investigations, risk assessments and providing advice to members and management. I have considered moving into a health and safety role as a job and wondered if people could offer advice on where to look? and also what level to look for? Ashley
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2000 16:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith Can I recommend that on matters of H&S Careers Advice, you speak to Jacoba Slee of IOSH. As far as being a Union Safety Representative, I do not believe that this is ever going hold you back.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2000 08:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant Hi Ashley, Do not worry about coming into safety via the Union route. I started as a safety representative in 1978 and worked as a safety adviser/laboratory manager for several years before getting a full time safety managers job in 1989. It is a good way to learn the basics. To get further you will probably need to consider either the Diploma or the NVQ route, as a lot of employers seem to require full qualification plus RSP. If you look in THSP you will find several safety assistant type post which offer training which might be more applicable for you. Anyway, the best of luck! Regards, Martin Bessant, Forum Moderator.