Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2001 20:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anatoly Bengert How much time has a civil engineer to study the occupational safety during his learning in the institute?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 October 2001 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bernard Angus Anthony, I see that no one has responded to you yet, so I will. You don't say if you are a student or not ? hoping to take up Civil Engineering, perhaps ? I was at a conference earlier in the year when the President and other senior members of the management board of the I.C.E. were discussing just the question you ask. There is certainly going to be a significant emphasis on health and safety for people applying to join the I.C.E. in future. Some of this is undoubtedly due to the tightening up of the "Designer" requirments in CDM. Look out for this! I should write to the Institute of Civil Engineers, 1 Great George St. London W1. Hope this is of some help. Bernard
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2001 17:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi I do not have a direct answer, but there was a scoping study carried out on behalf of HSE called "Education of undergraduate engineers in risk concepts". You can access it on the site:- http://www.hse.gov.uk/dst/engineer.pdf The report is concerned solely with the education of engineers in the undergraduate phase of their formation. It presents the results of a study of the essential requirements of the education of engineering undergraduates in risk assessment and risk control concepts. The study sought information and views from structured interviews with a wide selection of representatives and individuals from different parts of the engineering community. The Project Plan for Revitalising Health & Safety Strategy Statement:- Action Point 34 is:- The Government and Health and Safety Commission will act to ensure that safety-critical professionals such as architects and engineers receive adequate education in risk management. This will be delivered through a programme of direct approaches to relevant higher and further education institutions and professional institutions ACHIEVED An Inter-Institutional Group of the Engineering Council (EC) has issued a template for undergraduate engineering courses. NEXT STEPS 1)HSE has commissioned a two and a half year research project, investigating provisions of risk management teaching in construction related undergraduate courses. 2)A detailed strategy is being finalised to re-focus activity and ensure maximum stakeholder involvement in future work.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 October 2001 14:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis MSc MIOSH RSP If you have a degree, you can take a Post Graduate Diploma at a number of Universities-in a year of studies (approx 1 day per week) you can pick up a qualification which is accepted as being to the academic requirements of IOSH (you will still need to meet the experience criteria). I am not sure that all "PgD"s are accepted- that you'll need to check.