Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2003 16:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By debra jayne nott
i currently work for a small railway business as office manager and i also work out on track for a large railway company as a trackperson. this has made me want a career in the h & s area. i have enrolled in university this week for the BSc (Hons)Safety, Health & Environmental Management - 3 yrs. can anyone give me advice if this is the right way for me. i cannot fund anything myself. appreciate any help.
Debby - nottresidence@aol.com
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 September 2003 14:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
First debra let me say well done on your new carreer decision.

If you have the time to do 3 years then go with the degree.

It might be worth seeing if a local college can provide the nebosh cert at a cheap rate. I got mine at £200 2 years ago and now I think the course is quite expensive and going up. (hence I ultimatly want to teach heheheh)

I took the 36 week option pt evening and I do feel this is better as you have more time to absorb the huge amount of info required.

Basically just keep investing in yourself and stay with the rail companies as I believe the pay is good.

Best of luck
Jason
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 September 2003 14:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By debra jayne nott
thanks jason, really appreciated
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 September 2003 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Elizabeth Ashford
Hello Debra

I just wondered where you have enroled for your degree as I'm quite keen to do one myself.

I have just finished an NVQ Level 3 and didnt know whether to do Level 4 or a degree.

Any information would be appreciated.

Kind regards and best of luck

Elizabeth
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 October 2003 18:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By stuartgill
hi debra
I had the same doubts regarding my choice of an h & s route.However im now in my second year at notts trent(SHEM) its been difficult,but i have no regrets.Whats 3 years after all, good luck.

Stuart