Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2004 23:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karl Newcombe Hello all Can any-one give me an idea of how much I should be getting paid. I am a Health and Safety Officer for a major retail company. I have NVQ 3 H&S practice, Tech SP and four years solid exp. I am the network chairperson for H&S which covers 12 small/med and very large stores. I know this is a very difficult! Anyway look forward to hearing from you all. Karl
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2004 23:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Karl, You are worth as much as your next employer is prepared to pay you. Regards, Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2004 12:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt £17K?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2004 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Karl, You are probably worth a lot more than some people will try to get away with paying you. I had to take a very low paying job in order to get into H&S full time. I was told that they couldn't afford to pay me any more and that they didn't think I was worth any more. They obviously could afford to pay me more because in the time I had been there they (the 2 partners in the business) had bought a new Mercedes jeep, a whole range of office equipment, furniture and really expensive wooden flooring, and a racehorse (yes really!) - and the safety consultancy was their only form of income. I realised they could well afford to pay me more, but were not prepared to share their wealth, and started looking for another job. I was offered another job really close to home, they offered me an extra £1000 to stay, I said no because the job I'd been offered paid me 40% more. They choked on their coffee. However, this was a very small company with the office at the house so it was easy for me to see how well off the company was. Don't be taken for a mug. Some people will pay you as little as they think they can get away with, but some do pay you what they think you are worth and even publish their salary grades. Most people I know who have got a job offer but said they have wouldn't take it unless they got more money have been able to make the company increase the salary offered. Risky though. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2004 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karl Newcombe Thanks all for your advice. After speaking to P.People it looks like I should not be accepting any less than 25k. Thanks again for your advice. Kind Regards Karl.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2004 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Market forces mate, a lot of things have to be taken into consideration however the overriding factor is what the employer is prepared to play, not what you think you are worth, if so we would all be getting shed loads of dosh. However it is up to you to persuade your employer that you deseve more etc and if not then best to move on to an employer who values your contribution.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2004 13:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Is it not a fact of this industry that when new everyone has to be humble and accept the fact that no matter what qualifications you may have, experience is what one is paid on. Therefore to get that experience one has to work for pea nuts in the first job that is offered. Is it also not the norm that a certain type of employer seeks out those graduates so as to take advantage of the situation. However like elephants we never forget and yesterdays graduate may be tomorrows factory inspector/local authority enforcement officer. A thought worth noting! Mike
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2004 12:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee Mike, interesting comments, it seems a little ironic to me that one cannot gain corporate membership of IOSH without an accredited qualification (and experience), no one can gain employment in OSH without the requisite experience, and not many people get jobs without MIOSH !!! As for what you're worth well I guess its what pay you're prepared to work for. I was happy in my former job and would have stayed for comparable pay, (they paid for me to do the NEBOSH Cert and Dip 1, I was told there were no jobs and left to another company for double my salary ! Incidently they are looking for a safety assistant now but I couldnt take the drop in pay !
Admin  
#9 Posted : 18 February 2004 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karl Newcombe Thanks again to every-one who left a reply! Regards Karl
Admin  
#10 Posted : 24 February 2004 12:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Binstead try www.payfinder.com please. seemed very easy to use, and be nice to get some more safety input on the site to give us all a better idea - perhaps might just leave it open for the boss to see next time he walks past!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 24 February 2004 12:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston Get hold of a copy of the July 2003 SHP. IOSH conducted a survey in late 2002 and this covers salary. TechSP average was £26,137. However as already stated this will vary signifcantly between industries (oil/gas paying the most, local government the least), experience etc. You are only worth what someone is willing to pay you, and if you think your not being paid enough ..... find somewhere else. Shane