Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2000 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By maggie Can anyone provide me with information about possible health hazards deriving from daily exposure to octan gas in the process of eyeglass frame production? Thank you in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2000 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Maggie I note that no one has responded to your message. I have held back as well, because I do not recognise the substance/preparation name that you give. Can you check that it is correct? If it is a proprietary mixture, can you give us some idea of what is in it? I'm afraid I know nothing about your industry, so cannot make an educated guess. Regards Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2000 22:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bullows MIFPO, MIIRSM, MISM Maggie, I work in the Chemical industry but have not heard of Octan and it is not listed in the approved carriage list. Best advice is to contact the supplier of your Octan and ask them for an MSDS (material safety data sheet) which they are required by law to send you. This will give you information about thew chemical including its CAS Number. When you have this number, search one of the many Chemical data bases on the net using the CAS number as your search key, Hope this helps, Regards, Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 August 2000 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Budworth Dear Maggie, You need to look up Octane - It is quite common to drop the E at the end of chemical names (especially in Germany. You could try looking at one of the MSDS sites listed on this site, but beware the description you get s quite likely to be scary. To really understand the likely effects you need to know the likely atmospheric level and how that relates to a standard. I don't believe Octane is specifically listed in the UK limits (EH40/00) as it will be listed as a general hydrocarbon, however if you can get hold of a copy of the manufacturers datasheet then they will be identify a suitable exposure limit. The bottom line is that long term high level exposures will have a detrimental effect, but if you re exposed to levels below the Occupational Exposure Standard the majority of the population should not exhibit a long term health effect. I hop ethat this helps. Best Regards Neil
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 August 2000 10:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By maggie Thanks for your help. As I was asking on behalf of a friend, I personally had very scarce information about the scope of the problem (exposure to octane gas on a daily basis). Anyway, I will certainly check out the proposed links. Regards Maggie