Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2000 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Glen Cowsill Is anyone aware of guidance available, or does anyone have any info. I could gleen regarding the setting up of a company "jewelry policy". It is to cover a broad base of sites with operations covering manual working and working with machines. Thanks in advance. Glen.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2000 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman i cant quote an official source, but from my own experience I feel that there should be some restrictions imposed on the wearing of jewelry. I have met one man who was missing the ring finger of his left hand. He told me that it happened when he jumped off the back of a lorry. Another told me of the time he hung from some racking when he slipped. I have had a signet ring crushed and distorted as it was caught between two pieces of a machine. It had to be cut off. I did not wear that ring for another twenty ears, until I left the industrial environment. I also know of other cases where chemicals have been trapped under a ring, causing burns. Any loose jewelry (bracelets, necklaces) can act as does loose clothing and be caught in moving machinery. Additional question : What do you do about men (or women) wearing ties around machinery also, how can you persuade someone that they should not wear their wedding ring ? (in operating theatres I believe they must be covered by a plaster. Hope this helps Merv Newman
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2000 10:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Glen Cowsill Thanks Merve It's the persuasive element I think requires to be formulated. To simply say no and quote a policy at people often gets a negative resopnse and poor take up. Glen
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2000 18:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan Glen, I would be inclined to approach the matter from the direction of a safety policy rather than from a jewellery policy. The latter angle may prompt some to cry "rights infringement", or worse still, "what about my human rights?". The risk assessments for each activity will identify whether the wearing of jewellery, ties, or other types of personal clothing (e.g. platform shoes)is likely to add to the hazards and increase risk and the associated controls and precautions will identify the appropriate measures which employees will need to follow. Thus the wearing of jewellery in the front reception may continue and on the production floor be controlled. Bear in mind too that other jewellery, e.g. battery operated watches and other personal equipment such as mobile phones, electronic organisers etc. may also be hazardous in particular circumstances, e.g. confined spaces. Regards, Philip
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2000 19:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle interesting thoughts have come into my brain on reading these contributions. What would happen, say, if a company included such in a H&S Policy and this caused the employees to revolt !! Wearing of jewellery is often an immotive issue,for some more senior women workers partucularly (I am not being sexist here.) and for some 'ethnic minorities' a religious issue !! Could/would a company therefore be within the law to; a) introduce standards that excluded certain ethnic minorities on religious grounds (Remember the items about turbans), and expect others to comply, and b) would the company be able to protect itself by allowing employees to sign a 'waiver' stating something like ' they have been informed of the risks etc etc, and have chosen not to comply with these instructions.... c) Ties and wearing of has been around for a long time where rotating machinery is used. It is common practice for such items of clothing to be banned, however, in my experience I do not recall ever seeing workshop employee wearing a tie !! Regards... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 September 2000 08:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The risk assessment approach should be better than the policy one unless the workplace has a very limited range of operations. Exclusion of ethnic/race groups would not be advisable here as almost every religion seems to have associated jewellery and individuals will interpret the need to wear this in different ways. The disclaimer proposal is dangerous as the employer will be producing evidence that he/she was aware of significant risks to individuals but chose to allow them to continue in them!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 September 2000 09:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Ken. A lot of words, but you are not answering any of the problems !! We know policy and risk assessment go hand in hand on ensuring the correct level/application of H&S. But how would one address these cultural and ethnic problems....'Sack em' or what... Obviously, not the answer, so a meeting of minds is needed here. Training...Yes, but will this overcome deep held religious belief...I do not think so. There has to be a middle way... Its nice to play evils advocate is it not !! Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 September 2000 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I was only attempting to respond to points a and b of your last posting. As I agreed fully with point c no response was needed! It's got to be a matter of specific risk assessment for each task rather than a general approach and if there is a significant risk writing down and communicating the controls - which may be removal, covering over, using PPE, etc. My advice is still avoid the race/religion issues and address only safety. I would also record any reference in training and discussion. As to whether people do what they are told (including supervisors) I suspect that we are all in the same situation.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 14 September 2000 19:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle OK Ken... Don't get all bitter and twisted, I was after all mearly playing at being devils advocate here. Some very intersting points raised which I am sure will help.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 14 September 2000 20:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MICHAEL LACY No one has mentioned the H&S issue of wearing jewellary in football. You will notice that rings are allowed to be worn, either for marital or religious beliefs, provided they are taped over to prevent any areas that can cause injury. Although this is to protect opponents, the same principal can be applied to industry. Equally there is a requirement to ensure long hair is made safe under a hat, or similar restraint, to ensure it does not catch in any machinary and pull the scalp off, the same arguament can be made for dangly earrings and large necklaces.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 15 September 2000 15:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Hill Returning to Stuarts issues a few messages back: It is my belief that: a) There can be no exclusion of ethnic minorities on the grounds of religous beliefs, nor any other beliefs for that matter. A safety issue is a safety issue regardless of colour/race or creed. b) Getting staff to sign a waiver in no way releases a company from its duty of care to provide a safe working environment for staff. It just isn't worth the paper it's written on. c) Ties could be tucked inside shirts etc if required although like another of our contributors has mentioned, the wearing of ties within engineering environments is NOT the norm. Jewellery can cause problems with many areas of safety. In the course of my work with young people on Government funded training programmes, I have much contact with hairdressing trainees. Jewellery is definately the order of the day, with some girls wearing as many as ten or twelve rings on their fingers. Invariably, constant contact with dying and perming solutions, plus the addition of constantly wet hands, ensure that skin irritation and in worst case scenarios dermatitis gets a hold. Many salons I have been in recently have introduced policies forbiding the girls (and boys) from wearing rings (other than wedding/engagement) and also only allow trainees to wear just one pair of earings. (Fourteen in one ear is the most I have seen). This earing exclusion was, however, to ensure that trainees looked professional and was not really a safety issue. If jewellery has the potential to cause harm, it must be included within a company's risk control strategy. Hope this offers another perspective to our discussions. Regards Jerry
Admin  
#12 Posted : 18 September 2000 10:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie While I agree with all that has been said, I must take issue with two points. I spent 40 years as a time served engineer in an environment where ties are "de rigeur". Although things have relaxed a little, certainly supervisors and managers, even those on the shop floor, would still be expected to wear ties. There is at least one precedent for relaxing safety rules on religious grounds - Sikhs are not required to wear crash helmets while motor cycling. I would personally work closely with Personnel, and make this an employment contract matter for those areas where it was an important safety issue. Regards Laurie
Admin  
#13 Posted : 18 September 2000 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Further to my last, I appreciate that this may cause disrimination problems Laurie
Admin  
#14 Posted : 18 September 2000 11:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Two previous threads on the old web site which are worth referring to are "Wearing of Jewellery in Schools" Posted by Gerry on Tuesday, 9 May 2000, at 11:59 a.m. and on the issue of ethnic exclusion "....and now for a 'curly' one" Posted by K.C. down under on Monday, 28 August 2000, at 4:49 a.m. John