Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2000 11:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Con.. I'm opening a new tread for all us safety professionals in the Hotel/Catering industry to come together and open discussions. Sharps & Blades:- I wordering what other hotels do to prevent accommodation staff recieving injuries from needles, blades & sharps used by guests and disposed of in rooms. With HIV, Hepatitis etc. this is a issue of concern for staff now a days. Con..
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2000 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Con.. Is anyone aware of a H&S or Environmental standard for this industry? A european or award standard?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2000 21:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun mckeever Con, how is the hotel industry coping with the requirement to carry out fire risk assessments? The reason I ask is that I am a fire officer with several hotels on my patch. I have not found one hotel that has carried out a satisfactory fire risk assessment. I know that the hotel trade magazines have carried adverts from several consultancies offering to carry it out or to assist safety professionals like yourself with carrying it out. Perhaps the feeling is that the Fire Certificate is sufficient. I am concerned because hotels present a significant life risk particularly where poor fire safety management exists. I'd be interested in your views. Thanks, Shaun McKeever
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 October 2000 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Con.. Hello, Great to hear from you. I'll tell you what we are doing at the moment and maybe you can then tell me what else i should be at. At present our hotels hold fire certificates, all all extinguishers are in complanace with law and regularly checked and maintained. Almost everyone is trained in fire safety and practical use of extinguishers and we have 2 drills per year. All necessary exit signs are in place and exits kept clear. Each room has a map illustrating the closes exit and assembly point. Fire alarms are in place all over the property and checked. A fire commitee is established and duties are assigned for a well managed evacuation. Although that is a lot i know that there are other legal requirements ........ maybe you could point them out to me. Looking forward to hearing from you. Con..
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 October 2000 08:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Con, there is a european standard on food hygiene, usually called HACCP - Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points. I think there was an article on it in the Daily Telegraph a week or so back. I understand that it is now law in UK. It has been/is being implemented in other european companies. I do not remember seeing any mention of it in IOSH. I have audited a number of French catering establishments to this standard, and it is not easy to meet all of the criteria : recording dates and origins of all raw materials, recording delivery/storage/cooking temperatures, assigning responsibilities for cleaning/disinfecting operations and so on. If you need any more info, just send an e-mail and I will have a look in my files. I also know that there are some web sites devoted to HACCP, mainly american and canadian government sites, but some from HACCP "consultants" Best regards Merv Newman
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 October 2000 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun mckeever Hi ya Con It sounds to me that you are conscientious about your fire safety. It is a pity that this isn't reflected widely in your industry. The Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations now require all employers to carry out Fire Risk Assessments. The idea of the risk assessment is to examine what really goes on and identify the potential causes of fire. The Fire Certificate ensures that exit routes are maintained and always available but does nothing about identifying and eliminating the risk of fire. The Chief Fire Officers in Scotland have developed a risk assessment model where they have listed eight headings under which they recommend the risk assessment should be carried out, these are: 1. Life risk 2. Ignition sources 3. Combustible materials 4. Prevention and management 5. Communications 6. Structural precautions 7. Means of escape 8. Operational Facilities for Brigade Firefighting If you conduct your risk assessment based upon the headings above then you should have a satisfactory risk assessment. I hope this isof help to you and all readers. Good luck Shaun McKeever