Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2000 14:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Harsley I have been asked the following and, despite contacting the Government Legislative bodies, have as yet not received a definitive answer.The Fuel and Electricity (Heating) Control (Amendment) Order (S.I.1980/1013) placed an upper limit of 19 degrees C on the artificial heating of workplaces. The Order was made under the Energy Act 1976. Question: was it repealed and, assuming it was, when?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 November 2000 15:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jenny Harris I was asked this same question about 3 years ago. I work at an Agency of the Home Office, and contacted the central Home Office for advice. As far as they were aware at that time the legislation had not been repealed, but neither is it enforced. The Dept of Environment (as they were then) had never heard of it. It was, as you are probably aware, created to reduce oil consumption during the fuel crises in the early '70s'. It has nothing to do with health and safety. As the use of oil for heating has reduced the aim of the legislation has gone, but it has not been repealed. However, I was assured that the only time it would be enforced was if there was another oil crises!! Hope this is of some use. Jenny Harris
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 November 2000 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Harsley Many thanks Jenny, I am delighted that someone has given me a positive response. Yes, I was aware of the reasons for its introduction. Our heating engineers were concerned with regard to the design of their systems and information given to premises managers. Once again many thanks, Alan.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2000 09:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Lucas The defining legislation is the Worklace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regs 92. In essence there is no upper limit defined. It depends upon the nature of the work, physical effort etc. Again it comes down to individual assessment. Any other Orders etc are obsolete. Hope this is helpful Regards Andy
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 December 2000 09:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Harsley Thanks for the response Andy. Just to avoid any other responses going off at a tangent, the question of workplace temperature as a whole was not the issue, it was purely the existence or otherwise of the specific legislation. Sorry if I confused you. Cheers, Alan.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2000 16:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Carson Hi Alan Can't answer your question i'm afraid but these people might be able to. Building research Establishment 01923 894040 or 01923 664258 brecsuenq@bre.co.uk They deal with all aspects of energy management. Regards Graham