Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2000 18:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ray Littlewood Can anyone help? I work for a local authority in Yorkshire. A large part of the cleaning operation at my site involves the emptying of specially designed 'tippable skips' into a compactor. This is done with the aid of a fork lift truck. The compactor hopper is not covered due to the nature of the operation, however there are safety features e.g. emergency stop button, stop/start contacts, hand rails. Up to press the control panel is switched on and left on in a morning when the cleaning operation begins. The cleaners approach the compactor with the skip on the forks and raise the skip to about 7 feet. They get off the truck and with the use of long hook type tool, pull a lever which releases the skips contents into the compactor. The cleaner then gets back on the truck and lowers the skip before replacing it to it's original position. The compactor is operated by the start button on the adjacent panel. A recent risk assessment highlighted certain hazards which we are currently addressing. An in-house H&S consultant has advised us that the panel should be locked away at all times which means staff having to unlock and then lock the cabinet before and after emptying each skip. This means staff have to wait until the rubbish is fully compacted before they can stop the compactor and lock the cabinet (extremely time consuming - although the benefits are obvious). Has anyone ever come across a code of practice or similar for such an activity. If so I would be most interested if you could forward me a copy or point me in the right direction. Many Thanks Ray
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 November 2000 01:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Garry Nabbe The Australian, New South Wales, Government equivalent to your HSE, The WorkCover Authority of NSW produced a Compactors Code of Practice in 1991. I had a look on their website for you but that code is not there even though I have a copy. You may want to have a look at the site and e-mail them through the contact page and see if you can get a copy. It is a booklet of about 30 pages of A5 size.The site is http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/ and look under publications.