Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2000 21:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Edward I am involved with a transport operation where the drivers operate a range of lifting equipment [lorry loader cranes, lorry carried fork lifts etc.] to load/unload their vehicles. The drivers are all trained and are re-tested every 5 years. As an employer we have general duties under the HSW Act and Management of H&S at Work Regs to take reasonable steps to monitor the drivers to verify that they are implementing their training & policies etc. We also have a duty under LOLER to "appropriately" supervise lifting operations. We don't know how we can reasonably do this. Has anyone got experience of a monitoring scheme for mobile workers that could be applicable?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 December 2000 09:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Hi, Ed. With the exception of making visits to your drivers whilst carrying on with their work, it would seem that one option would a 'partnership' with your customers. Whilst I don't know in what circumstances the work is being carried out, if on the premsies of others, your company (the drivers) are working within the other company's undertaking. They (your customers) also have a legal duty of care to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that work done within their undertaking (i.e. on their site) is done in a safe and healthy manner and complies with any particular health and safety requirements they may have. With this in mind, it may be worth 'partnering' with your customers for them to assess your company's performance on-site and carry out checks on the drivers performance and health and safety whilst on their site. This may well be extended to fit into a partnering/benchmarking argreement and be included within any quality system that either your own company or your customers have i.e BS EN ISO 9000 ect. Hope this gives you some food for thought. Regards... Stuart Nagle