Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2000 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Roe A union safety rep told me that an employer recently changed shift patterns for staff from a 5.00pm to 8.00pm finish and since that time two women have been attacked on their way home by public transport. I have advised that there are no responsibilities placed on the employer in this regard. Does anyone know if this is correct
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 December 2000 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Roe Do people appointed fire wardens by their company have any legal responsibility in the event of things going wrong during an incident?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 December 2000 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor In short, I would say that their legal duties are the same as for any other employee as required by health and safety legislation and Common Law (negligence, etc) - unless there are other specific contractural duties from the conditions of their employment and job description. I am unaware of any action taken against a Fire Warden arising from their work in that capacity and would be interested to hear of any.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 December 2000 11:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant Alan, Whilst I was working for an NHS Trust in north london, I was involved in setting up Fire Wardens. We trained them in their duties with the emphasis that they were not to put themselves at risk. We ensured that the persons selected were of supervisory grade to ensure that they would be in a position to enforce any actions, but they would only have the same responsibilities as any other supervisor under H & S legislation plus of course the usual encompassing section 7 of HSWA. Providing they were carrying out their duties in a competent and responsible manner, I cannot see how they can be held liable for any incident. Hope this helps. Martin Bessant. Past Chair - Healthcare SG.