Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2000 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adam Morris I wander if anyone can help me, I'm currently at college studying a BTEC in Health amd Safety. I have a new assignment which is to provide a Risk Assessment Report, one of the questions asks for an explanation of the legal requirements for Risk Assessment. My tutor said to gain extra marks you have to mention more than HASAWA '74, I have no other regulations to refer to, ie coshh regs, Vdu regs etc where risk assessment will be mentioned. Becuase of me working full time I do not have the time to go to a library, I have looked on the internet for these regs but with no success, in addition to this I do not have the time to buy these boks as I will not recieve them in time, work have agreed to pay for them but I have to follow works procedure for ordering goods. Camn anyone provide me any information on the legal requirements for Risk Assessment, ie in what regs it appears and where. I know it is a bit cheeky!! Thankyou in anticipation Adam
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2000 15:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 (previously 1992) impose an overall requirement to undertake risk assessment. 'Every employer shall make a suitable and sufficient assessment of - the risks.......' - see Statutory Instrument no. 3242, 1999 from the HMSO website. There are also requirements to assess specific risks, for example in the following sets of regulations: Exposure to Lead (regulations 1998) Exposure to Ionising radiation (regulations 1999) Asbestos Noise Display screen equipment Manual handling operations Personal protective equipment at work regulations Control of substances hazardous to health Health and Safety (Young persons) regulations Health and safety (first aid) regulations Regards Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2000 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Budworth Sorry I am not going to do you homework for you, but you could check out http://www.vl28.dial.pipex.com/UKHSLeg.htm Which is the TUC's legislation index or you could try out the HSe home page on www.hse.gov.uk (liked from this site) Happy hunting. Best Regards Neil
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2000 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Unlike Neil I don't mind a bit of homework, COSHH Regulation 6 paragraphs 1&2 DSE Regulation 2 paragraphs 1(a) and (b) Managment Regulation 3 paragraphs 1(a&b) 2,3 and 4 Manual Handling regulation 4(1)(b)(i) These along with the others mention by previous respondents should get you a few more marks. Good luck Phil Roberts
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2000 22:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Crookes It is not cheeky and I have reviewed the responses and you have the information you require. Any more info, refer to Allen St John Holt "Principles of Health and Safety at Work" and read the individual regs. I will send you my copy if you agree to send it back when you have finished with it. Never be afraid to ask any question on this forum. Health and Safety is for the common good, both employers and employees. Anybody that has the wherewithall to persue it deserves the help of their peers, seniors, and subordinates. Good luck.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 December 2000 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis Quinn The HSE's "A Guide to Risk Assessment Requirements"- IND(G)218(L) includes a table at the back which should meet your needs. Have you tried to get one from HSE books on 01787 881165- an invaluable source of good, often free, information. Good luck with the studies
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 December 2000 14:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Byron Rodgers Try http://www.safety-now.co...ctorapps/main/index.html on your browser. It's a good site and contains many bits of Legislation which you can copy into a word processor. Good luck Byron
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 December 2000 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Angela Adam. I can see that you have already got plenty of responses to work on for your assignment. I just wanted to encourage you really. I am just coming to the end of a four year study period. I have studied for my certificate, my diploma and now am about 6 months away from finishing my degree in Health, Safety and Environmental Management. I have also worked full-time through it all, and have a family so it is a good juggling act. I have an inspirational quote from Earl Nightingale that keeps me going: "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of you doing it. The time will pass anyway, we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." Any future help with research mail me direct at owlsend@btinternet.com and I'll dig out anything from my brain or my own notes and mini library collected over the past years. Although, the important issue in Health and Safety is always to juggle the time to be able to keep abreast of the latest versions of everything and maintain currency. Good Luck! Angela