Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 December 2000 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Howden I am currently revising our policy on eye and eyesight testing. Is there a legal basis for allowing employees to take time off work to attend the opticians? I cannot find any reference to time off in the DSE Regulations. Seasons Greetings Bob Howden
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 December 2000 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor My interpretation of the DSE Regs in this respect is that, as the employer has a specific duty to provide an eye and eyesight test to designated users of DSE upon request and as the Guidance to the Regulations refers to employers arranging tests for new recruits, these tests should be permitted during normal working hours and that the principle of employees not having to pay for specifically required health and safety provision means that this time off should be at the employer's expense. As to other visits to the optician, these would be part of the employer's arrangements with the employees for medical appointments generally and various codes of practice and negotiated agreements will apply.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2000 17:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ron muir Hi again Bob I have now found out that our flexi scheme does allow for time to be taken to visit opticians. However it is only at the managers descretion (sorry can't tie it to legislation) Surely a good employer who cares about his employees enough, to cover other aspects of health and safety ,can see his/her way to allowing a bit of flexibility in this respect?? or am I living in the past too much
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2000 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft Bob I would agree with Ken on this, that to expect an employee to use their own time for eye and eyesight test provided under DSE Regs would in effect be charging for the test. Similarly if flexitime was used that would still be a form of charge as the time would no doubt have to be made up later or accrued in advance.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 December 2000 17:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter tame if employe is a crane opperator where eye sight is critical should he / her be allowed time off with pay and should employer pay for test
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 December 2000 23:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor If your question means 'do we think that employers should be required to give paid time off?', the answer will probably be 'Yes' - and not just for crane operators. There's a lot of jobs out there where good eyesight is very important for health and safety. If, however, the question means 'is there a legal requirement?', the answer is 'No'. The duty upon employers with regard to display screen equipment users arises from the risk to eyesight from the job rather than the risk to the safe operation of the job from inadequate eyesight. We await the day when legislation moves forward in that direction.