Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2001 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Samson I would appreciate if members of this forum advise their expert opinion on the following: On high rise building, during intrerior fit-outs constrcution period, the passenger elevator is being used to lift / lower materials externally ( Material Carried not in the passenger compartment but above the compartment, due to the over size of material)from ground floor to higher level. What advise a Safety Officer shall give to their site management and how far this practice is correct on a finishing constrcution site, where there is no any other means of lifting mechanism to lift materials, only through a passenger elevator from ground floor to higher level. Request immediate response.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 January 2001 17:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Neville Johnson I suggest reference be made to the 'Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998' and the 'Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998'. Re the former, reg. 4 (a) requires the lifting equipment to be 'suitable'. A look in the operating instructions may overt the need for a phone call to the manufacture. This will not only determine their view which would be crucial to a court in the event of an accident, but their response may be to wash their hands since using the lift in this way may now invalidate any contract. Should there still be doubt, the 'Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998'. Reg. 4 also requires the equipment to be 'suitable'. If you feel you could enlist the support of the manufacturer, which I doubt, then a risk assessment and safe system must be produced with the attendant training, instruction and supervision. We all know this sort of thing happens and judging by the lack of response to your item you seem to be in an unenviable position. Best of luck.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 January 2001 23:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor This sounds to me like a piece of equipment being used for a purpose for which it was not designed in a manner in which it was not designed to be used. Unless some competent person (mechanical engineer?) can certify in writing that this is a safe and appropriate use and be prepared to defend this in court (!) I would expect the safety officer to inform the employer that this practice should not occur.