Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2001 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nancy Lett I have to do a talk to young children on the dangers of playing on construction sites. Does anyone have any training material I can use i.e. videos, overheads, activities for the children to do e.g. colouring in pictures etc. Thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2001 15:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Allan Nancy Try Rospa at http://www.rospa.co.uk/safeeduc.htm as a starter for ten. They do a wide range of educational material. David Allan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2001 04:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Nancy. Talk to Health & Safety Executive. In the 70's and 80's they ran a Campaign entitled Building Sites BITE!!!! They may still have some Archive material and work packs from that time. Also there is a Film called SPLATT, Safe play at all Times. It was originally produced and issued by Laing Homes. It my now however be available from HSE Films at Wetherby as might Building Sites Bite. Try them anyway. The previous respondent is also right to suggest you try RoSPA's site on the web. You will get good resource material from there also. There is a special resource centre in Glasgow where all sorts of Public Safety is presented espcially for children and young people. The centre is targeted at Safe Play, No Tresspass and to assist in developing an anti yob, anti vandalism culture. Prhaps some other readers of this page might be able to pass on the contact/address details for this site. Roger Bibbings of RoSPA should be able to help you i this rgard. The Glasgow centre also addresses Rail Trespass Safety, Water safety, Elctrical sub-station and overhead line Safety, Farm safety etc., in fact any area that might be an attraction, play place or adventure or mischievous excursion for children and older (Teenage) young people. I am sure that there are other cities with resource centres like the Glasgow one around the country now but I am out of touch with immediate local detil. I do recall Scottish Power I think having som involvement with the Glasgow centre, give them a try. Railtrack also last year, (2000) issued an education and Safety pack called I think "Track Off". It consisted of a Video, posters and information sheets. From much of this material you can make up your own work sheets etc., It was aimed at stopping children trespassing on Railways and also targeted anti-vandalism. Look at the Railtrack web site, sorry I do not have the www address to hand. ( A good search engine is: www.alltheweb.com) Another way to get help in this field is to approach some of the Major Construction Companies in the UK. There Safety Depts run and offer School liaison on "Not Playing on Building and Construction Sites". Many of them will already have the Films and perhaps much of he support material. Maybe some of my former Construction Safety colleagues reading these pages will post a reply to you. If you approach some of the Big contractors thye may also be able o follow up your presentation with a real Project site Visit. I am currently based in Hong Kong so am unable to help directly. Hope this inormation is of help. Good luck, itis a worthhile exercise you are targeting. Rgards. ken urauhart
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2001 22:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Following on from Ken Urquhart's point - there is an officer at RoSPA dealing with interactive learning centres, junior citizen schemes and the like who should be able to point you to other schemes like that at Glasgow throughout the UK - who may have, or use, the sort of resources you are seeking. For some strange reason they call this initiative 'LASER'. RoSPA are on 021 248 2000.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2001 05:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Nancy. Following my earlier response, please also see The Safety & Health Practitioner of August 2000. The News section pages 2 and 3 carried a piece on "Child Safety Week" 19-28 June 2000. The SHP web site is www.safetymags.com. Regards. Ken Urquhart
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2001 08:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Sorry!: 0121 248 2000 for RoSPA.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 05 February 2001 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Nancy. There is a campaign in Ireland "Play Safe - Stay Safe" run by the NI Construction Safety Group (NICON) to bring construction site safety into the primary schools. There is a resource pack that I am sure they would be happy to discuss the use of with you. I have reproduced the article from a recent edition of Newswire, that explains the campaign in more detail. Contact NICON (mailto:chairman@nicon-hsg.org) or myself (mailto:ciaran@confinedspaces.com)if you need more details. Regards Ciaran "Play Safe - Stay Safe Launched earlier in 2000, this construction industry safety campaign is aimed at school children. Curious minds and idle hands will find the dangers on construction sites. Dangers; such as deep excavations, manholes, chemicals, heavy machinery, electricity and many more. The campaign, originally the brainchild of Phoenix Natural Gas and McNicholas Construction Services Ltd, was created to educate children about the dangers of playing around construction sites while the natural gas network was being developed. The NI Construction health and safety group (NICON) have further developed the initiative to cover the wider health and safety issues affecting the whole construction industry in NI. Using a cartoon character ‘Safety Sam’ the play safe - stay safe campaign provides a teaching pack for schools and play groups that introduces a safety code for children to follow. We can all play our part in the construction industry, through increased vigilance on our own sites, particularly during holiday periods or more directly through volunteering to present the safety message at schools or playgroups. NICON want as many schools as possible to present the pack so if you are involved with your local school or feel able to contact them to discuss the campaign your involvement would be most appreciated. Teaching resource packs are available from the NICON chairman or you could contact web-safety.com's Ciaran McAleenan. At the very least if you are a parent or have young children in your neighbourhood take a few minutes to talk to them about construction site dangers, particularly if there is construction going on around you. Children playtime should be safe as well as happy. Editors Note: Although designed for the NI construction industry there is no reason why the campaign wouldn't work in other countries. Download the Safety Sam leaflet [http://www.phoenix-natural-gas.com/education/play_safe.phtml] and see for yourself." Newswire article reproduced courtesy of EEI
Admin  
#8 Posted : 05 February 2001 09:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Try your local Environmental Health Services, H & S Unit. Many LAs now run annual child safety events (some in conjunction with the local Police) and amongst stranger danger, kitchen safety, railways, rivers etc. there is often a Construction bod. You may be able to get in touch.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 05 February 2001 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nancy Lett Ciaran, I have tried to respond to the e-mail addresses you quoted. For some reason I can't get through. Could you please send me whatever details you have. Regards, Nancy Lett
Admin  
#10 Posted : 05 February 2001 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Nancy, Try my alternative address; info@web-safety.com or phone me on; 0802945017. Ciaran
Admin  
#11 Posted : 05 February 2001 16:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Angela Wheatcroft Hi Nancy! I've been trying to contact you via your email address without success. Please could you 'phone me an alternative means of contact on 0116 257 3100 or fax on 0116 257 3101. Thanks, Angela Wheatcroft Website Co-ordinator
Admin  
#12 Posted : 08 February 2001 08:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis Quinn The organisers of Child Safety Week-and also a good general source of information on child safety- is the Child Accident Prevention Trust (CAPT) whose website is www.capt.org.uk. Regards Francis Quinn