Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2001 07:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ross Stirton I am writing to seek comments from anyone who has reviewed the available sources of legislation/guidance that are available electronically. We are currently looking to purchase such software to support 5 gas terminals situated throughout the UK, with the primary users being the respective site HSE professionals. Access would either be intranet or internet rather than multiple copies of the same product. If anyone has reviewed the usual contenders (Barbour Index, OHSIS, OSH Oil & Gas, Redgrave's/Butterworth, etc.)I would greatly appreciate your comments - both positive and negative...... Regards, Ross Stirton
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2001 09:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor We had an interesting talk at our IOSH London PS meeting yesterday by Sheila Pantry of Sheila Pantry Associates Ltd on 'Getting the Best out of the New Technologies'. She has evidently been looking at the various on-line and CD based OSH services and might be worth contacting (sheilapantry@compuserve.com). In my local government days, I preferred Barbour because of the range of documents available in full text and their willingnness to add others upon request. This may not be so important for your industry but it's worth checking to see whether a database extends beyond the material provided by the HSE and legislation derived from the Health & Safety at Work, etc Act. There have been a number of articles in 'Safety & Health Practitioner' on this subject. HSEDirect has now arrived on the scene and seems worth investigating - particularly in view of the fees involved.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2001 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Ross I agree with Ken that Barbour is good - too comprehensive for my organisation, and therefore not cost effective. I found Silver Platter too clunky and slow - the web based version frequently hung, though I believe they have now addressed this. I have a meeting with an HSE Direct rep next week - watch this space! Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2001 12:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston I've used both OHSIS and Barbour CD systems - not much to diffentiate between them content wise- We're now subscribing to TI's web based system - OHSIS and a number of their other products - the interface is better - but, and its quite a big but for me - OK it's an obsession - nearly all their documents are delivered as pdfs - a format with much to recommend it if you get it right (HSE Research, please note), but the pdfs are straight image scans of the pages, which means that the file sizes are huge - up to 100x larger than they need to be - once downloaded (which can take an age - even wwith a fast link) the text isn't searchable. If they do some work to "capture" the pages they scan this problem will go away, but its a significant problem at the moment - I often find myself returning to my CD set. I don't think Barbour are quite as far down the web access road
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 February 2001 21:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard hi, just a quick note. I've used silverplatter OSH CD ROM for a couple of years. Its very useful for quick word searches etc. (although it needs time and practice to use the shortcuts for the type of item you are looking for, and it is fairly expensive) I think you would be hard pushed to find a more comprehensive database cheers Richie
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 February 2001 09:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch My recommendation would be for OHSIS, (and if you want easy access to case law - Redgrave) OHSIS allows you to search by word on page though this is not possible on most of the files in the Internet version, so that we still have the CD Roms. Example - search by keyword "auger" will bring up numerous hits including "Safety in Excavations". Barbour will only pick up hits where the keyword is in the title. Haven't reviewed Silver Platter recently. p
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 February 2001 08:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor 'OSH Plus'CD-Rom does a full-text wordsearch too and you can use 'and', 'near', 'in ti' etc to refine the search. 'HSE Direct' gives you about 6 ways to make a search (there is a free demo available on-line).
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 February 2001 18:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By smudge We have used silver platter for some time and find it useful for legislation and guidence. we do not use sections B or C. I have to state that when we recently had a problem they were not very helpful. George smith smudge341@yahoo.com
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 February 2001 20:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Vinson I use the silver platter CD rom disks almost on a daily basis and find them very useful. Because they contain so much information some practise is required when entering the searh criterea. However once this is mastered they prove to be invaluable.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 21 February 2001 08:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ross Stirton Many thanks to all who shared their thoughts.... Regards, Ross Stirton
Admin  
#11 Posted : 21 February 2001 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Reference my last response - 8 Feb. I have now had the demo of HSE Direct. Very impressed - very quick, easy searches (I deliberatley picked some obscure ones), very quick downloads (direct line). Certainly the best I've seen, and will almost certainly go for it. No commercial interest etc Laurie
Admin  
#12 Posted : 21 February 2001 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster Sorry folks,kind of missed the boat and started my own thread further up the main OSH chat page.Has anyone else seen the new Barbour package (health and safety,fire,food safety,trading standards and environmental management) Currently it is on CD but by the end of April it will be web based.Barbour are running a special deal,bit I do not want to sound like their sales staff-what I am after is VFM.Are you all getting it?!
Admin  
#13 Posted : 22 February 2001 13:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Juliet Fennell I used Barbour in my previous job and found it to be most frustrating at times. Keying in the same information on different occasions produced different responses. Even more frustrating, if you acccessed a document, printed the cover of it so that you had all the information - Document name, publisher, reference number etc. you couldnt access it again. The search would state no such document. However to be fair to Barbour, this was nearly two years ago and some of my problems were probabally down to me not using the system properly. Perhaps they are more user friendly now. Juliet
Admin  
#14 Posted : 05 March 2001 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By claire butterfill Although I am pretty biaised - I used to work for Barbour - I find it much more user friendly than TI. We currently run both services at present, and I often find that TI does not have the document I am looking for. I have also found the search mechanism inconsistent - and will not always bring up the same results. I have also found that when a certain ACoP was reprinted it was not updated on TI. Having said that, some of their images are excellent. Also worth remembering is that Barbour's system does contain summaries of many of the documents, and all of the key ones, and is supported by a weekly briefing, which notifies you of all new/updated health, safety and environmental documentation and legislation, as well as case law, prosecutions and seminars, etc. I have not looked at Silver platter for a while, but I always found that the layout/format was not user friendly - and obviously the content/range of publishers was limited. I haven't had a look at HSE Direct yet, so can't comment on it's ease of use, although at first glance at its marketing material it sounds ideal for a SME. However, as the other respondents have said - it does depend on your needs - if you want a comprehensive system, with good support, I'd advocate Barbour, (remembering that this also has the basic environmental info that you may initially need) but if you only need HSE documents, HSE Direct may be the best option for you. Personally I'd demo the main contenders and see which suits you best. If you need in depth environmental information, you may require an additional system, or add-on to whichever package you select. Hope this is of some help. Regards. Claire.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 13 March 2001 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marj Rees As a local authority we have subscribed to the Barbour Index for some years, firstly on microfiche and more recently on CD ROM. It proved following tests against the others to be one of the best systems to suit our needs although I have to say it isn't cheap. We now have the weekly update via E-Mail instead of hard copy which facilitates distribution easily to all relevant persons within the Authority or to all of them if the need arises. We have expressed an interest in receiving future updates via the net rather than updates to the CD system as users at present have to trudge to my office to collect them if they need to use the system. The net based system will permit access to nominated staff with the restriction that only one user can use the system at any one time. Ultimately of course its horses for courses and it will be a case of getting and using what suits you best. Good luck in your search.