Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2001 12:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis Quinn
Having stopped a "Performer" from juggling knives in a busy street- he then wanted to juggle clubs on fire (using Meths as the fuel)- while aware of the obvious dangers of this, I would like advice on other dangers- eg if he spilt the Meths would the residue after evaporation constitute a slipping hazard?
Advice please,
"A Safety Officer's job is a varied one"!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2001 20:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Francis

Does this 'performer' have a licence issued by the Local Authority?

If he has this may be used to stipulate what he can and cannot do !!

If not, he can be removed and if necessary the police employed re him causing an obstruction/H&S issue in respect of those legally passing and re-passing along the highway, i.e. his obstuction is neither natural or legal.

As far as the safety isssues are concerned, it would appear that this 'act' would be treated the same/similar to circus performances - see the local environmental health and legal depts of the local council.

PS If you are the local council/environmental health or legal dept, why are you asking... you should know !!

Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2001 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Harper
Francis,

Being a fan of juggling and bearing in mind the other comments, I would like to see the fellow contiue but how can we?

I would be interested in how you prove he is competent in carrying out these activities and how he manages it safely.

i.e. is their suitable segregation? Is he insured? How are members of the public protected? Could he do it with fake knives that look real?

I am interested in how this proceeds.

Ian Harper
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2001 09:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne
By the way, on the question about meths - it just evaporates, doesn't leave any residue.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2001 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Knagg
Methylated spirits would react with the binding agents, bitumen in tarmacadam and ashpalt in hot rolled asphalt surfaces, causing damage and resulting in a slippery surface just as any fuel would if spilt in any reasonably large quantities on these surfaces. It is not easily cleaned up off these types of surfaces and the binding agent remains volatile until sufficiently weathered and trafficked.

Chris Knagg
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2001 16:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Chris.

meths will not unduly affect the bitumen binders in either Hot rolled asphalt, Tar Macadam or Bitumen Macadam surfaces.

The agent used to break down these materials in testing is Trichloryethelene (if I remember my highways materials and materials testing C&G correctly).

The meths on the surface would, in the quantities discussed, i.e. spillage from a litre bottle (perhaps) not damge the surface and would evaporate reasonably quickly, as Diane stated. Weather conditions obviously would affect this.

Fire risks are obvious, from disgraded ciggies etc,.

I suppose one could consider an area being 'set aside' for performers, via a consent licence from the Local authority, provided of course they are prepared to accept the costs of providing such an area and the risks associated with it's provision.

Stuart Nagle