Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 February 2001 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dot Tadman I am somewhat confused and would appreciate clarification on this subject. Our engineers are all vaccanated against Hep A, Hep B and Tetanus. In reading 'Defence Estates' (we do a reasonable amount of work on MOD sites) rules & procedures for confined space work I came across their recommendations for inoculations - ie Typhoid, Tetanus, Poliomyelitis and Hepatitis A. Is this country prone to Typhoid? and should our engineers be getting inoculated for it and also for Poliomyelitis? Regards Dot
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 February 2001 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan Typhoid fever is a systemic infection caused by the gram negative bacillus Salmonella typhi. Typhoid fever is spread by the faeco-oral route usually through food or drink that has been contaminated with the excreta of a human case or carrier. It is therfore predominantly a disease of countries with poor sanitation and poor standards of personal and food hygiene. Around two hundred cases of typhoid fever are notified in England and Wales each year, over 80% being acquired abroad principally in Indian sub-continent. Immunisation is advised for: Laboratory workers handling specimens that may contain typhoid organisms Travellers to countries such as Africa, Asia etc. There is no specific recommendation with regard to vaccination of sewage workers.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2001 20:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Harvey Dot, You might like to visit WWW.phls.co.uk, there you will be able to view the reported incidence of all these conditions within the UK. I could not however see any reported incidence of Polio in the UK in the last 10 years, so its interesting that you are talking about vaccination. I would mainly be concerned about Leptospirosis. Peter Harvey
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2001 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The need for vaccination of operatives against poliomyelitis would be a matter for risk assessment by a competent person on behalf of the employer and/or person in control of the workplace. This notifiable disease spreads through contact with faeces or pharyngeal secretions from an infected person and is considered most infectious for up to 10 days before and after the onset of signs and symptons and the virus is passed in the faeces for up to 6 weeks. In view of the acute nature of the illness some have considered a 3-dose course of vaccination with 10 year reinforcement necessary or advisable for risk groups including those who work in culverts and excavations or who have direct contact with faeces or body fluids. A similar approach may be made to Typhoid and risk groups - with a single dose vaccine reinforced 3 yearly. It might well be considered that personal protection measures, if strictly followed and enforced, make vaccination unnecessary in most circumstances - but that must be a matter for competent assessment. In any event it can be a sound approach to recommend vaccination where there is an evident risk.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 February 2001 15:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Dot. As a DE Appointed Authorising Engineer for Confined Spaces, I can advise that The Defence Estate Safety Rules and Procedures 06 - Confined Spaces (SRP06), is intended for use both in the UK and overseas (See Section 1 -Introduction (Sub sections 1.2.2 and 1.2.3). Obviously, when overseas typhoid may well be a risk, and therefore advice is included in the document for application, as above, to cover overseas theatres of operations. In the UK such innculation for confined spaces working is not normally required,. You should however be aware that certain establishments (Medical and Experimental) may well deal in various nasties (not necessarilly Typhoid) where escapes into drainage systems of such nasties ought to be considered within your risk assessments (further to the advice from competent H&S sources on applicable sites). Hope this puts your mind at ease... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2001 16:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dot Tadman To all of the above. Thank you for your help. I have in the past found getting relevant information very hard, but thanks to this site this has now become a lot easier with so many H&S people out there that have so much more knowledge and resources than me. Once again guys, thanks for your help. Dot
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2001 21:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Glen I work in the analytical lab of one of the larger UK water companies, where the staff are working with potable and untreated waters, sewages, sewage sludge, industrial effluents and soils. The advice we give to our staff is that we STRONGLY advise vaccination against tetanus and polio; and also advise vaccination against hepatitis A. Leptospirosis is a known problem in the industry, and there is no effective vaccine as far as I know. All staff are issued with letters to take to their GPs advising them of the risk due to their work. They are also issued with a card (which they are asked to carry at all times, even when not at work) which can be shown to any medical practioner advising that these people may be exposed to Leptospirosis. This also gives a telephone number for contacting the company's medical advisor. Hope this is of some help.