Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2001 16:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eddie Newall Has anyone developed a risk management protocol which includes verbal abuse? This is in the context of a general hospital ward where verbal abuse is common and physical abuse is rare.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 March 2001 19:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle The phrase 'sticks and stones shall break my bones, but names will never harm me' comes to mind here..... Why is 'verbal abuse'necessitating a risk assessment item. If anything, I would have though this was more a contributing factor to stress. There are training courses, arising out of customer care and management that I understand relate to 'managing' people and more particularly 'principalled negotiation'. Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2001 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Annetta Maslen I work for a Registered Social Landlord - unfortunately verbal abuse is a much too common occurrence when tenants are abusive towards staff. We manage this by: - encouraging staff to report ALL significant incidents - giving training to staff to enable them to spot the signs of aggression developing and to give techniques to defuse a situation (prevention being the main aim) - making it very clear to tenants that abusive and/or aggressive behaviour will not be tolerated and is a breach of their tenancy agreement - local risk assessments are discussed amongst staff and revised as and when circumstances change - and an action plan drawn up making it clear to staff how to respond in different circumstances. I hope this is helpful. Annetta
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2001 11:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Stuart I can't help but feel that your response is born out of naivety. Such a response is usually expected from senior managers who in one breath ask why the night shift in A & E was understaffed by 60% and in the other why they need to send letters to aggressive patients informing them of their wrongdoing. The only thing I agreed with was your comment on stress. The logical conclusion is therefore to act on it if it is causing loss or a degradation to the service. Moving on with that conclusion the issue does need risk assessing to find out exactly where, why , who etc and the scale of the problem. I'm not advocating a protocol for verbal abuse just that it's included in any general violence/abuse policy/guidance for staff AND dealt with as strongly as physical violence. Being faced with daily threats and verbal abuse should not be tolerated anywhere. As for the customer care /principaled negotiation courses you should attend an interactive role play one and see how you react to verbal abuse and threats - even though you know its not real! It may change your point of view. Oh, and could you come to my hospital and try some 'principalled negotiation' with the drunks, oiks, druggies , nutters, the innately bad and everyone else with a grievance who come in to pop off at people who are trying to help. Sorry Stuart but you're off the mark on this one! Bryn
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 April 2001 21:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Davies Speaking as a trainer regarding personal safety at work I must agree with the last response. Too often verbal abuse isn't assessed or reported which for some employees can be as traumatic as physical abuse. Lets face it, physical abuse in one respect is much easier to 'assess' and deal with as there are very few realistic preventative or protective measures. Verbal abuse, granted serious verbal abuse is much more difficult to deal with as there is no physical response, hence no real measures to put in place which means it generally gets ignored and becomes acceptable. In turn this just reinforces the under reporting problem and undermines the overall safety culture. My current employee has a similar problem as the original query. We are still working on it, suffice to say any abuse that is deemed to be serious by the employee on behalf of themselves or indeed on behalf of others, such as customers/other employees etc, should be reported. Ask any employee who has been subject to serious verbal abuse about how they felt sometime later and how it affects there dealing with people. It is a considerable problem that must be taken in the context it is given or received. If in doubt get them to report it. Get into the habit of 'exit interviews', not just leaving the employment but also leaving the department and you might find it isn't just a case of 'sticks and stones'. Tim
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 April 2001 09:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Eddie To get back to your original question - verbal abuse should not be tolerated . Rather than a separate piece of paper it should be part and parcel of a much wider violence and abuse policy. The options open to you for dealing with abuse will vary depending on the person and whether a patient or visitor. Threatening or abusive behaviour from visitors should be a strict one chance and they lose their visiting 'invitation'. This goes for someone accompanying a drunk in A & E to a parent staying with a sick child. Patients are a little bit different in that the potential underlying medical causes of aggression need to be addressed but still a strict 'no abuse' policy should prevail. Such a policy should be underpinned by the usual training (customer care, avoiding aggression etc), awareness, support and management and a certain amount of bravery. Why bravery? - because when your Trust has the press and local HA breathing down your neck asking why a patient has been refused medical treatment at your hospital you will have to be prepared to tell them why. Not exactly difficult but a lot of pressure can be exerted to treat those who show no regard for how their actions affect others. Too many people prepared to put a service before their staff!! If you'd like to discuss this further e.mail me. Hope this helps Bryn
Admin  
#7 Posted : 10 April 2001 10:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eddie Newall Thanks to everyone who has responded and taken the time to express their views. I posted this query on behalf of a ward manager who wants to produce a protocol for managing verbal abuse. Physical violence is rare on her ward whereas verbal abuse is common. She would find it very helpful to look at an example of an existing protocol for managing aggression, verbal and/or physical. If anyone has devised such a document and is willing to email it to me at ewn1@cant.ac.uk I will pass it on to her.