Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 April 2001 17:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By tony ewen As a newly inducted participant in health and safety. I am finding the position of health and safety versus politics difficult to overcome I am in a quandary as to handle a director who in theory advocates health and safety but when pressed finds the transition from theory to reality difficult. I am part of group of companies and empowered to bring this field under the banner of the parent company
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2001 00:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Harvey It would be helpful to know a little more on this topic but assuming the norm: Try not to look at the issue of safety in the workplace, as a "legal" must. I have found and often hear of the winning argument being that based on sound business principles. Saving time, saving money, safety people and saving the company name are big players in persuading an MD to take the right steps. However like most things this only ever works if it is presented with care and in a logical fashion.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2001 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Harper Tony, I have a powerpoint presentation that puts safety across as management effectivness and the sound business principles achieved by good safety management.I've used it a few times, (its sort of worked). If your interested email me and I will send it on. Ian Harper ian.harper.ncs@norfolk.gov.uk
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2001 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede To elaborate on Peters answer, look at claims. You have the costs of the personnel off sick, the costs of employing replacements or overtime. The costs of processing the claim at your end, the insurers end, the costs of attending claims meetings & court cases. You can then look at insurance premiums and the scope for reductions as a reward for reducing the number of claims. To reduce claims you need to reduce accidents and to reduce accidents you need to invest in safety! QED